America's Pastime

Absolutely stunning what this team did. Replace Arenado with Bryant plus $50 million wasted. Why not just keep Arenado? Also, the whole “not trading Story” thing was just mind-blowing. If you weren’t going to try to keep him, what the hell are you doing?

Sorry Rockies fans.

2 Likes

For me, I can separate pretty easily the business of the game from the entertainment of the game. As a certified old guy, I have gradually over time stopped cheering for specific players and even teams to an extent, and instead, can go to any stadium, or see any game on TV (except the hellishly long NYY-BOS Sunday night games) and enjoy the simple act of players just playing the game. It has made my enjoyment of the game much better.

Many say, baseball is dying. For me, I love baseball enough that I would watch a game if it was America’s 50th favorite sport and played in glorified sandlots.

1 Like

I will never discount the value of Moneyball. There are time baseball teams overpay for high profile talent and overlook talent that can be just as productive at a lower hit to the salary structure. The reality is Oakland has always been a budget-constrained team. Billy Beane has been able to make it work in today’s arms race. I always look forward to seeing them perform.

I’ve learned to enjoy baseball more over time. I have never been a big baseball fan, but I can really appreciate a well played game. Oddly enough I find myself enjoying defensive games more than offensive games. There’s just something about a pitcher’s duel that is enjoyable to me. Great defensive plays from the infield are always exciting to me. A bajillion homeruns, meh, but a well played tactical or strategic game, hell yeah. This sentiment goes from high school to the majors for me.

I do prefer in person games over TV games, but announcers like Joe Buck can make a TV game good IMO.

1 Like

e36ce7964907448aa0bf8babaffd10daf067db47_2_690x460

3 Likes

This really resonates with me. Maybe it is my inner-Whittingham, but I like most of my sports to be more defensive in nature. I like when a team or player has to really work to score, and that scoring is rare and special.

One reason I don’t like the NBA as much as other sports, it is just too easy to score and it becomes ho-hum to me.

3 Likes

There is still very little in life better than a night out with friends to a baseball game with stadium hot hogs and beer on the menu.

5 Likes

Why do they taste so good and better than anything else. I’ll grill a dog at home and it’s good, but a boiled dog in a squished steamed bun with some mustard and maybe onion at a ballpark? Can’t be matched. It’s bizarre.

5 Likes

Definitely one of the World’s Greatest Culinary Mysteries! :wink:

2 Likes

I was disappointed last year to see that Colosimo’s (or whoever it was) wasn’t selling hot dogs at the Bee’s games any more. The only dogs were at the regular snack bars.

Anybody know what happened?

I’m here in CO and go to an occasional Rockies game - good venue and great views but downtown (which I don’t love). I miss being in an AAA city (grew up in ABQ - Dukes, now Isotopes; SLC - Bee’s; Austin - Red Rock Express) - like the size, cheap tickets, …

I don’t blame Guerrero for being upset. Still, this might have been just a case of Cone being a little wild. It was a curve ball that hit him. If a pitcher is going to hit a batter he does it with a fastball. But prior to that there were a couple of very inside fastballs. Another but: Batters should never go out to the mound.

1 Like

Vlad Jr. cant log into Facebook?

2 Likes

I changed the video out for a longer YouTube clip, @IrvingWashington.

Just seeing Tommy Lasorda makes me irrationally angry and I involuntarily started swearing at my computer.

2 Likes

lol. It was a curve ball.

2 Likes

This feat seems almost to defy the laws of physics.

An infamous trio of goof-ups.

1 Like

This clip shows how the knuckleball drives opposing batters and the pitcher’s own catcher nuts.

I could never figure out how to throw one, never tried to catch one, and tried many times but NEVER hit one; which just makes me normal.