What I’m watching

No. I had to step away last night after finishing that episode.

1 Like

Squid Games was amazing but really rough to watch at times.

2 Likes

I noticed that Netflix has a small collection of musical documentaries, and finally got around to watching Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool. If you’re even a casual Miles fan or enjoy jazz at all, you’ll love this. Watching is not required - just close your eyes and listen to almost 2 hours of the some of the best music ever recorded.

If you’re a fan of Kind of Blue, Miles’ break through recording from 1959, you’ll love hearing about how that recording came about.

Edit to say, it never ceases to amaze me that some combination of the lifestyle and seemingly unlimited resources of a successful musician can lead to so many really significant problems with drugs and alcohol.

2 Likes

They also have a series called “This is Pop” which is well done.

Yeah, I finished it last night. I liked it but maybe not as much as others appear to have. Maybe, I just got kind of numb at the end.

It’s the same commentary as “Parasite” about the class system and how the working class is treated. But, it is also a commentary on the way the unregulated loan system of Korea has put so many of the contestants in a situation that this is an option. It also (without spoiling) shows how getting everything you want as a wealthy person also leaves you empty searching for more and often times it takes you to the darkest of places. I could opine longer but that’s a brief summation of what I got from it. I’m interested in what Season 2 will do.

That said, I am rewatching Boardwalk Empire. It’s better on the second watch.

There were a number of things I didn’t like about how they ended it. Without any spoilers, I thought the overall purpose and motivation for the game was a huge let-down, as was the way a couple of the final contestants bowed out.

That said, I still thought it was a great show. The marble episode was maybe the most soul-crushing episode of any TV show ever made. Absolutely brutal.

1 Like

It seems like they tried to fit too many twists into the ending; wasn’t crazy about that. Agree, it will be interesting to see where they go with it next season.

I’m on a plane and not thinking about Korea. That’s all I am saying about the ending.

Took some time to watch about our local Cult leader. I had zero clue this church existed till this:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to watching this tomorrow on 60 minutes, and then the movie at Thanksgiving.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’m sad we only got 60 seconds of this

4 Likes

She sounds a little like that Julie Rowe nutter from St George who convinced a lot of people of her prophecy that the Salt Lake Valley was going to flood. I think it was supposed to happen in 2014.

Looking at a map of the few reservoirs upstream from the Salt Lake Valley, if they all suddenly drained the GSL would only be raised by an inch at most. But, she got people to believe in her brand of crazy.

1 Like

The fact that a not-insignificant number of people base their faith around stuff like this will never make the slightest bit of sense to me.

2 Likes

I will stick to binge watching Star Trek Discovery.

I don’t need more crae crae…

1 Like

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by ST:Discovery. Fun show.

We started the Wheel of Time on Prime. So far so good. Been years since I read the books. Even with some freelancing on story, the series (3 episodes) seems to follow the books plot well.

1 Like

Religion and faith is beautiful and weird. I always tell people there is a good chance I am Muslim if born in an Arab nation so I don’t really act harsh to other’s views. I was raised in an Evangelical setting and find many of our cultural beliefs toxic and bad. There are crazy people ruining faith in every religion and atheism would be great if not for all the other atheists.

Jumping in late:

Squid Games - I liked it too, but it felt like one of those shows better enjoyed binged than spread out week to week, so you don’t spend too much time thinking about it. Fascinating but in many places not that deep and that VIP episode was very cringeworthy in the wrong way.

ST:Discovery - It was enjoyable for a Trekkie (not Trekker) like me but I have to say I’m very annoyed with CBS/Paramount’s approach to streaming. I collected the first season by… alternate means but I got a nasty email from my ISP asking me to delete the files as I got caught. I might schedule a binge month with Paramount but the timing hasn’t been right.

Just finished the new Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. As someone who puts the original anime in my top 5 shows ever, this live action version was mostly just wildly disappointing.

They did a few things right, the main one being that John Cho as Spike and Mustafa Shakir as Jet were absolutely fantastic. They both did a truly remarkable job. The music was stellar as well, and they occasionally did a good job of capturing scenes and styles from the original.

Unfortunately, they did WAY too many things wrong. They turned Vicious into a ridiculous cartoon villain, skipped a number of key characters and plot points entirely, Faye was meh, and the ending was absolute garbage, imo.

I’d give it a C+ overall, if I was being generous. Shame, as it seems like it could have been SO much better.