What I’m watching

I’m sad we only got 60 seconds of this

4 Likes

She sounds a little like that Julie Rowe nutter from St George who convinced a lot of people of her prophecy that the Salt Lake Valley was going to flood. I think it was supposed to happen in 2014.

Looking at a map of the few reservoirs upstream from the Salt Lake Valley, if they all suddenly drained the GSL would only be raised by an inch at most. But, she got people to believe in her brand of crazy.

1 Like

The fact that a not-insignificant number of people base their faith around stuff like this will never make the slightest bit of sense to me.

2 Likes

I will stick to binge watching Star Trek Discovery.

I don’t need more crae crae…

1 Like

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by ST:Discovery. Fun show.

We started the Wheel of Time on Prime. So far so good. Been years since I read the books. Even with some freelancing on story, the series (3 episodes) seems to follow the books plot well.

1 Like

Religion and faith is beautiful and weird. I always tell people there is a good chance I am Muslim if born in an Arab nation so I don’t really act harsh to other’s views. I was raised in an Evangelical setting and find many of our cultural beliefs toxic and bad. There are crazy people ruining faith in every religion and atheism would be great if not for all the other atheists.

Jumping in late:

Squid Games - I liked it too, but it felt like one of those shows better enjoyed binged than spread out week to week, so you don’t spend too much time thinking about it. Fascinating but in many places not that deep and that VIP episode was very cringeworthy in the wrong way.

ST:Discovery - It was enjoyable for a Trekkie (not Trekker) like me but I have to say I’m very annoyed with CBS/Paramount’s approach to streaming. I collected the first season by… alternate means but I got a nasty email from my ISP asking me to delete the files as I got caught. I might schedule a binge month with Paramount but the timing hasn’t been right.

Just finished the new Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. As someone who puts the original anime in my top 5 shows ever, this live action version was mostly just wildly disappointing.

They did a few things right, the main one being that John Cho as Spike and Mustafa Shakir as Jet were absolutely fantastic. They both did a truly remarkable job. The music was stellar as well, and they occasionally did a good job of capturing scenes and styles from the original.

Unfortunately, they did WAY too many things wrong. They turned Vicious into a ridiculous cartoon villain, skipped a number of key characters and plot points entirely, Faye was meh, and the ending was absolute garbage, imo.

I’d give it a C+ overall, if I was being generous. Shame, as it seems like it could have been SO much better.

So probably a B from someone who isn’t familiar with the genre? It always feels they sacrifice some things for broader appeal.

I’d actually be kinda interested to hear the opinion of someone who wasn’t familiar with the original. Maybe it’d click better, or maybe they’d think it was an even more convoluted mess. I dunno.

I plan on watching so I will report back.

1 Like

Plan on watching this:
Jonah Hill Playing Jerry Garcia in Martin Scorsese Dead Film | Saving Country Music

1 Like

I started to watch and got through two episodes. Not really for me. It has a somewhat “Scott Pilgrim” vibe but it came off as low budget. Maybe it got better but wasn’t enough to keep me.

Just watched on HBO Max (also in theaters). So good:

If you like J.Geils Band your gonna like this one by Peter Wolf. I’d forgotten about it till I heard it on Little Steven’s Underground Garage the other day.

1 Like

Queued it up based on this post. I thought it was mostly okay-not-great. The wife fell asleep. I actually really liked the real-life vignettes in the credits. I was not really aware of the Williams sisters when they were teens.

Now watching Cowboy Bebop, never saw the original. I’m fairly confused now.

1 Like

If anyone is considering the live version, I would strongly recommend watching the anime instead (it’s also on Netflix). The original is considered one of the “standard bearers” of modern anime, and is one of the very few anime shows I would recommend to people who weren’t already fans of the genre. It’s a truly fantastic, stylish, fun, engaging show.

The live-action remake has it’s moments (mostly based on nostalgia if you’ve watched the original), but I imagine it would fall completely flat if you came in cold without the benefit of nostalgia. It’s mediocre, at best.

1 Like

Why did they need to do a live Cowboy Beebop when Firefly could’ve simply been rebooted?

1 Like

Truly one of the great mysteries.

1 Like

:man_shrugging: To each his own. I was very aware of them due to working in Sports Media back then. FWIW, tons of Oscar buzz. May be Will Smith’s first Oscar.

I get it though. The hate Richard Williams got in his life and seeing him getting some love and even criticism in the movie was great for me. It showed you could be tough on a kid with a goal in mind and succeed. Also, that you don’t have to buy into a system that says it’s only been done this way. He really attacked the Junior system and Tennis parents in real life.