What I’m watching

Come From Away on AppleTV. Such an amazing story of community and service during the 9/11 events.

I watch it about 1x/year. Just as a reminder of what was happening on the Western Front. I watch Saving Private Ryan once in awhile for the same reason, but the opening scene is really hard to watch.

3 Likes

I actually have theater tickets for that next year.

Saw it in the theater when it came through town a few years back. Awesome show. Clever writing.

2 Likes

We just watched The Report, with Adam Driver and Annette Benning. We both liked it. I had heard about it in the past, but found it on Prime last night. I only turned it on because of Adam Driver. He did a great job. He was very convincing as Dan Jones.

The Report (2019) - IMDb

1 Like

Total 1970s style campy horror:

It seems Baaaaad. Then it made it gooood

Watched a Classic:

and a Modern Classic as a double feature last night:

2 Likes

Season 3 of Sex Education came out on Netflix today. What appeared at first glance to be a raunchy teen comedy has turned out to be one of the most genuine, touching, funny, moving shows I’ve watched in a long time. It’s absolutely brilliant, with Gillian Anderson being the highlight. She says as much in this show with a single raised eyebrow as most actors say in an entire monologue.

4 Likes

Had to rewatch “The Host” again with Halloween upon us.

Finished Season 3 last night. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. I think this is Netflix’s best in-house show, by a wide margin. Not gonna lie, my room got really dusty during that last episode. Having been through it a few times, Hope’s IVF storyline hit home especially hard.

The way these writers deal with conflict, representation, and relationships is truly wonderful. There isn’t a single character in the show that you don’t empathize with at some level. The dynamic between Jakob and Jean were especially fantastic this season, with Gillian Anderson again stealing the entire damn show.

The only character I felt got the short end of the stick on their resolution was Ruby. They did such a great job transitioning her from a mean girl archetype to a well-rounded character, but then it seems like they didn’t really know what to do with it, so they simply dropped her from the picture. Thought that was too bad, as I would have liked to have seen more development from her.

Very interested to see where things go next season.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Discussing Animal House in another thread got me nostalgic for this classic. Call me crazy, but I still think it’s a great watch.

2 Likes

A great album for playing the air guitar and rocking out.

1 Like

I’m always down to watch Korean films. Personally, my opinion is that some of the best scripts are coming from there in recent years. I was glad Netflix dropped coin on this show. It’s interesting to see the class discussion on this and the problem of unregulated banking that caused people to get in the bind that they would have to go to this measure to try to find salvation from their debts:

6 Likes

Watched the first couple episodes last night. It’s simultaneously depressing and fascinating.

3 Likes

That’s Korean filmmaking. lol

3 Likes

After reading so many positive things about it I thought I’d give it a look. It’s nothing like what I expected. Only five episodes into season 1 but really like it.

The marble episode of Squid Games just broke me.

That’s the most gut-wrenching hour of TV I’ve watched in my life. Literally had to put down the iPad and go for a walk.

4 Likes

Been watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max. It’s been funny as hell.

1 Like

Have you finished it yet?