What I’m watching

We saw it opening weekend. Someone asked me what grade I would give it. I told him, B-. It wasn’t as good as I had hoped, but it was decent. It was definitely a film for the Matrix fans. A non-Matrix fan wouldn’t have cared as much, but could still follow the story. I would have liked to see it go deeper into motives and philosophy, instead it was pretty surface level stuff.

Was bored and watched Don’t Look Up on Netflix. Pretty much summarizes how we are as a society today. Perhaps will be this generation’s Idiocracy, which still holds.

5 Likes

I feel “Don’t Look Up” was a movie that thought it was funny but wasn’t. They really needed a couple more writers on that script. “VEEP” accomplishes what they were trying more seamlessly.

2 Likes

Exactly. Hit a couple notes, but never the chord. Trying to be satire but documentary style. Over stereotyped some characters but not others. The main point (look up or don’t look up) really was crushed into 5 minutes. I kept looking at the clock and asking ‘how is there still another hour to fill?’ Netflix feels they can get a couple known actors, throw it together, and it’s got to be good right?

This has BIG THEATER KID energy. Not gonna lie. I liked it. Garfield is having a year. He is great in this but if that Glee type of singing annoys you this will not be your bag. I am not a huge fan of this type of musical theater but it still was a very good movie with great storytelling elements. 7.5/10

1 Like
9 Likes

Thanks for posting this, been a while since I’ve watched it.

Amazing how applicable that entire speech is to our current times (especially around the urgency of democracy), and not just the single line that so often gets misused.

2 Likes

His best speech, to me, was his final speech:

4 Likes

I’m watching “1883.” I’m up to episode four. If anybody else is watching this, can you tell me when I might have some hope for the happy parts to begin? :grin:

1 Like

I don’t have Paramount streaming so I don’t know but let’s look at the Wikipedia entry for 1883.

So, no, it wasn’t a pleasant year.

What’s a quagga?

Rolling across the “Great American Desert”??? With thieves and bandits trying to steal you blind??? Native Americans raiding wagon trains??? Every form of wildlife and the water trying to put you in the ground???

You will find more levity in “Leaving Las Vegas.”

I am full up on the episodes that have dropped so far, too. I am enjoying the historical dramatization. It makes me appreciate just how much of a lottery move it was to emigrate from the east to the west for most.

PS I was going to say crapshoot, but…well…you know.:wink:

I was asking about the miniseries. It’s one tragedy after another. Every now and then we humans need a break from that!

1 Like

We’re at episode 4 too. No “happy” parts as of yet. Very interesting series, compelling main characters, at least IMO.

It’s gripping.

Just watched “The Suicide Squad” and began watching “The Peacemaker”

Twisted stuff.

1 Like

I can’t decide if I like Peacemaker. They try too hard but I’m sure that’s the point.

I’m planning on watching it but it sounds like James Gunn bringing Guardians to DC

It’s ok but Gunn clearly has the mind of a 6 year old that thinks saying the F word constantly is edgy.

If nothing else, a top ten opening credits.

1 Like

This was great. 10/10. A friend who read the book said it has some difference but was as good as the book:

1 Like