What I’m watching

Riffing the pandemic…part 2

The hype is real:

1 Like

We took the kids to see Encanto this afternoon. I came in expecting to simply be bored, as the general theme (magical family with a magical house loses their powers) did nothing for me at all. Ended up thoroughly enjoying it, even humming some of the songs on my way out of the theater.

It was a very pleasant surprise.

3 Likes

The strong sister’s song is great.

1 Like

We watched it too, but via Disyney+. It was decent. Ii also could have been any of Disney’s recent films, just different faces. After watching it, I told my wife that it could have been Frozen, just set in So. America instead of the frozen tundra of Norway or Sweden.

Agree. Had a very “we wrote this to end up on Broadway” feel like Frozen did.

1 Like

I followed the best movie of the year with the worst movie of the year and I watched “The Little Things” earlier this year and I thought it couldn’t get worse:

1 Like

Funny you should mention that.

Frozen 2 is one of my absolute least favorite Disney films ever. It felt entirely formulaic, soulless, and remarkably dull. I pretty much wrote off Disney films after that one.

I was grudgingly dragged to the last two by the kids, Encanto and Reya (?, the dragon one). I found myself enjoying both of those far more than I expected to. They both seem to have the heart and personality that I felt Frozen 2 completely lacked.

They’ve actually gotten me back on the Disney bandwagon, when I fully expected to be off.

1 Like

Disney and Pixar are working together on this one:

1 Like

Dark comedy satires obviously aren’t for everyone. I thought “Don’t Look Up” was pretty good. It was in the same vein as “Dr. Strangelove” was about the Cold War or “S.O.B. “was about the movie business. No, it’s not as good as “Strangelove” but it might the equal of “SOB” or “Being There.”

2 Likes

I had the same thought when I was watching it.

2 Likes

It made me want to watch SOB again. Something about a drunk Julie Andrews asking, “Have you come to see my boobies?” was a real gut buster to me.

3 Likes

How To with John Wilson, on HBO, Hilarious!

Now the earlier seasons of FBI are fully available to watch, I am bingeing the seasons I haven’t seen…between football games,

Check out this guy.
Most mind blowing ski vid (which is saying a lot…)

5 Likes

I finally binged this one over two days. I’ve officially heard the song “Get Back” enough times in my life. The development process was exceedingly fascinating, as well as the rooftop concert with the bobbies who looked about 12 and uncertain how to arrest musicians having fun. I also liked watching the scenes where the band just joked around with each other or jammed little pieces.

Now I need to go find other things to binge on Disney+ before I cancel it in a couple weeks. Already did the Hamilton thing a bajillion times.

1 Like

John Paul Jones Interview 2003

2 Likes

Spielberg doing a Musical is exactly what you expect. Perfection:

Fine. I will watch it. I have stayed away from this one for the same reason. I watched two yesterday. One is my Top 5 and one is Oscar potential that is a one view type movie.

Now one of my Top 5 for 2021:

Cage is Cage. When he’s on he’s brilliant. This one he is brilliant and may win another Oscar.

This one made me uncomfortable the way it was intended. Olivia Coleman is so good: