Utah/Oregon

Excellent points
Seemed receivers were part of the play previously. Did we scheme for avoiding a big turnover because they kept showing the middle? If that’s the case, receives are still team members who need to draw the play (and also block…)
I certainly don’t mind watching a 230lb man with good hands gash their hearts out right down the middle again and again. I think if Cam sees the wide open man he will reward them.
Love to see Les Olson’s take on the game

2 Likes
  1. Yeah. It’s not happening as often, but on key plays where the nose guard lines up on center and seems there’s a little panic.
  2. It seems we kept the gameplan tight and specific and executed the heck out of it. I do remember Vele targeted at past once, but seems like we were not going to throw any 50/50s or risk turnovers with a strong run game and TEs. We used Covey for slants and 3rd down conversions but just didn’t really use/need the WR except to block, which they did really well (the win takes some sting out but eventually they need the ball). Feels like with Kuithe, Kincaid, Covey, and sometimes Vele, we shortened the bench/rotation like bball during the tourney.

I think if the running game is working as well as it was last Saturday night, there’s no need to pass. I think that’s pretty clearly the way Whittingham thinks, and it is actually quite defensible. Anyway, Rising had fewer passing yards Saturday than he usually does because we ran the ball so well.

3 Likes

When the run game is going what the run game is doing, you feed it the rock and let it eat yards and clock.

2 Likes

Vele Had at least three targets that I remember. The first were no pass in your purse was called on an early drive. The second where he do for a ball that bounced in front of him. And the third we’re passing difference was called

I looked at WR catches in the conference and its not as bad as I thought (although I think Utah needs to target their WR a little more to keep them happy):

WSU - 210 WR catches
USC - 199
UA - 163
UW-137
CAL-124
Stanford - 119
OSU - 114
Oregon-113
ASU-98
UCLA-95
Utah-93
CU-87

Don’t disagree (that we need to make sure the WR stay engaged and used), but what does this look like for TE and RBs? I would venture that we lead the conference in TE/RB receptions. Kuithe (41), Kincaid (25) lead our team in receiving yards (487/349 respectively) and Bernard (22), Fotheringham (13), and Pledger (10) make 121 more receptions by TE/RB (add in Tavion’s 1 and Yassmin’s 1 and you get 123). It’s a choice for sure, but that’s the play calling of Ludwig to our strengths.

WSU has 26 RB receptions (no TE)
USC has 41 TE (3 with >10) and 32 RB receptions
UA has 62 RB and 16 TE receptions
etc.

With our balanced running attack, it would be normal for us to have fewer overall receptions than many teams.

1 Like

Are you ok?

9 Likes

Our 3 TE’s are the 1,2,3 TE’s in all or football per Pro Football Focus rankings. Hard to not use that weapon.

2 Likes

I am sure Jaylon was thrilled getting the reverse sweep call. The truth is we didn’t need to stretch the defense to move the ball. You usually use the run to set up the pass, but…

2 Likes

Oh good. I"m not the only one who couldnt decipher this gibberish. LOL I’m sure it makes sense to SOMEONE

1 Like

sorry in advance if this has already been posted…

5 Likes

Had to get out my special decoder ring, but I think there were some interesting spell check errors/typos here that made for good comedy. This is what I came up with.

The first where no pass interference was called on an early drive.
The second where he dove for a ball that bounced in front of him.
And the third where pass interference was called

And that seems to line up with Vele’s big plays in the game.

4 Likes

THank you… that “pass in your purse” had me doing a real WTAF moment. Was Rupaul at the game and I missed it? HAHAHA

2 Likes

I am a little surprised and disappointed that we have seen relatively little of Theo Howard this season—at least in terms of catches. And what about Munir McClain, the USC transfer? Has he been hurt?

1 Like

I could use one of those…

LOL

Yes. Dictating on my phone and not proofreading

Thank you. your decoding is correct. You are the Board’s Alan Turing

2 Likes
7 Likes