Utah/Oregon

That’s what happens to me too, when I dictate to my phone.

Looking at this list, keep in mind how often the teams near the top have been playing from behind.

1 Like

There’s a reason why his wife does all the driving.

1 Like

yep. That is the reason.

Howard was hurt until this week.

In order to beat Colorado, I figure we need to avoid passes in the purse. That’s the key to the game.

8 Likes

This phrase is almost to the level of the infamous Colorad9 incident…

1 Like

pwned

I still refer to them as Colorad9

2 Likes

Are you concerned? I am.

1 Like

Only if we throw passes in the purse.

1 Like

(Sorry if already posted.)

4 Likes

That’s my line.

2 Likes

Josh Newman speaks the truth applicable to all of us:

The day after the University of Utah’s 38-7 drubbing of Oregon, I tried to consume as much content from the game as I could. Local, regional, national, all of it.

In my internet travels, I came across a web-based national outlet that you’ve heard of if you follow college football. This outlet was basically patting itself on the back for picking Utah to win the Pac-12 South way back in July. Seeing that on the outlet’s Twitter handle got me thinking.

Of the 40 media members who voted in the conference-run Pac-12 preseason poll, only six picked the Utes to win the South. I was one of the six, but I’m not going to pat myself on the back.

This Utah division title, its third straight in non-COVID seasons, needs some context.

Yes, I picked Utah, but I picked it under the assumption that Charlie Brewer was going to play a full season. I didn’t pick the Utes thinking that Tavion Thomas would be a force of nature, and of course, no one had any indication that 75% of this season would come after a second player died in a span of nine months.

Yes, I picked Utah to win the South, but if I was recasting my ballot two days after the Utes lost to San Diego State, when they were 1-2 overall with Brewer having left the program, I probably would have amended my pick to Arizona State or UCLA.

Since that loss to the Aztecs, a lot has happened.

After Brewer left, Cam Rising took over. The Utes endured seven fumbles vs. Washington State and won. Aaron Lowe’s death came during the bye week. Utah rallied around each other and won at USC, a place it never wins, and helped bury Lowe two days later. The Utes outclassed Arizona State in the second half on Oct. 16, and have been in control of the Pac-12 South since, even with an ugly loss at Oregon State mixed in.

Blew out UCLA, blew out Stanford, avoided disaster at Arizona of all places, blew out Oregon to win the South, is now a three-score favorite in the regular-season finale vs. Colorado before turning its focus to the Pac-12 championship game on Dec. 3.

All of this is to say, very little has gone as planned for Utah this season. If you’re going to pat yourself on the back for picking the Utes to win the South, at least admit to yourself that you didn’t see any of this coming.

No one did.

https://mailchi.mp/sltrib/i-picked-utah-to-win-but-not-like-this?e=f3f267d14c

8 Likes

EDIT: This clip was supposed to be of highlights from the game, but I ended up posting a link to the pregame commercial, which is fantastic. But it’s not highlights. I tried that again in the next post below. I got it right this time.

4 Likes

These really are highlights from the game, with Bill Riley’s audio. As I said in my earlier post, watch for the blocking. The touchdowns all came with great blocking, often by lineman, but also by tight ends and running backs clearing the way for the runner. The blocking on Covey’s punt return for a touchdown is also fantastic.

5 Likes

Thanks so much!
My wife and I just watched the highlight rerun on the PAC 12 channel. Fun to watch