The pet peeves thread

I’ll stop if you will. JK - I don’t know if I’ve heard this much or or used it :wink:

1 Like

I’ll take that over the misusage of “ostensibly”.

ostensibly<>apparently

No one has mentioned “literally.”

1 Like

I have at least a million times

3 Likes

I am literally wrong, then, and I believe you are figuratively right.

1 Like

We don’t need to accept the ongoing corruption of the English language. It’s already mongrelized enough.

1 Like

And, @Buhbye, there’s this, from your very link:

Sense 2 is common and not at all new but has been frequently criticized as an illogical misuse. It is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary.

[Sense 2 is “used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible.”]

Hey! Stop that! This is a family-friendly board.

Since this is a sports board, here’s one of my pet peeves about sports.

When your team loses a game and there are questionable calls or non-calls, especially in the waning moments, and you say, “we got hosed there”. Then someone will inevitably say, “we should have never been in a position where the officials made a difference”.

Bolshevik!

Sometimes teams are evenly matched and it goes down to the wire. And if you don’t get a foul called (or do), or don’t get the PI call (or do), it sucks. And to think that in every game your team should have it in the bag to where that doesn’t matter is just BS. Officials can affect the outcome.

So that’s my pet peeve. Not that officials miss calls, but when people say things like “you should have never been in that position”.

2 Likes

I think I’m on a roll – who’s <> whose.

Heathens. I agree with LAUte’s previous comment, let’s not let allow the mongrelization of the language! :slight_smile:

I do agree with the point that language is fluid and definitions can change over time based on usage, but, that doesn’t mean I can’t be peeved when it does.

3 Likes

Driving pet peeve:

A driver in Utah (or any state that allows right turn on a red light) driving alone along a multiple lane road comes to a red light stopping in the right lane leaving all other lanes to the left empty. Now, until the light changes, no one can turn right.

This happens on fifth south, east bound, at Guardsman Way several times a week to me and it is a VERY long light.

5 Likes

I see this a lot myself. Never understand why people don’t allow others to go by. Often there’s no traffic either. Rude.

1 Like

This describes my road rage trigger perfectly.

Sinks where the faucet only extends an inch or two over the bowl, so you can’t fit your hands under the water stream.

1 Like

3 Likes

I don’t like it when the Athletics Department offers things like this:

Dear Crimson Club Members,

As we gear up for the holiday season, we would like to take a moment and thank you for your continued support of Utah Athletics. We are offering an exclusive opportunity for Crimson Club members to purchase authentic Rose Bowl footballs tomorrow.

A limited amount of game-used and official commemorative footballs will be available for purchase Thursday, November 17 at 10:00 a.m. for all Crimson Club members. Official Commemorative Footballs are $1,000 each and Rose Bowl Game Used Footballs are $2,000 each. They will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

You will receive an email with a link tomorrow morning. Please note the football purchases will not count towards your Crimson Club priority level.

To me it seems to shout out, “We’re lying awake nights trying to think of ways to get money out of you!”

3 Likes

How about shower heads that are the height of your shoulders?

5 Likes

Umm isn’t the whole purpose of the Crimson Club to raise money for Athletics? :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Point taken. It still feels just a tiny bit manipulative to me. “Hey, Ute fans! Look what we’ve got here! You can have one for just a couple thousand dollars.”

1 Like