The pet peeves thread

It’s easier then you think.

2 Likes

I love accents. I was told by a college English professor (whose name I’ve forgotten) that the early immigrants to Utah from Cornwall, England brought the Cornish accent with them, and that many of those folks were dispatched to settle southern and central Utah. Supposedly that’s where “carn,” “harse,” and (my favorite) “warsh” come from. I’ve never researched that theory.

Cornwall has a distinct accent even in England. Cornish folk pronounce the “r” almost always. Upper class people (and the rest of England, generally) do not. England is all about accents and class. People there take speech courses in order to overcome their native accents. Here’s a lesson in how to pronounce the “r” in a way that won’t identify the speaker as lower class:

1 Like

When you walk around with a dryer sheet hanging out of your pants and no one tells you…

7 Likes

Just remember the most hated people are the ones who get TP on their shoe and no one stops them to get it cleaned off. :wink:

FTR, a certain former President got on Marine One and Air Force one carrying a piece on his shoe.

5 Likes

LOL…at least mine wasn’t TP.

And if people hate me, at this stage of my life, I just can’t care. There’s something about being in your 50’s that is so freeing.

5 Likes

Ship ahoy sailor… :grin:

1 Like

The usage of “alot”. When is “alittle” coming into vogue?

1 Like

One more…wtf is “in regards”?

It means “I am trying to say ‘regarding’ but don’t really know how.”

Agreed. That said, at least use it correctly – “in regard”. There is no “s”, unless it is used in the form of " as regards".

One of my favorite online reviews of a doctors office !

2 Likes

not really a pet peeve… rather a comment/complaint about getting older:

I recall as a young person never understanding why my father and father in law were always so grumpy as they were winterizing their house and yard each fall. I always helped both, and always winterized my own house and yard without any ill feelings.

The older I get, the more I think I understand the feeling. As much as I enjoy some aspects of winter, particularly the xc skiing, I’m getting so I no longer look forward to it. I just finished the house and yard (and my mother’s, and MIL’s) and I’m pretty grumpy right now too.

EDIT: to say, I’d probably feel better if we had a Basketball team like we always did when I was younger - hopefully someday soon.

2 Likes

I’ve done the garden and the flower beds and the pots and the areas around the pond.

Now I’ve just got to do leaves about 20 more times.

I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Yeah, I love sycamore trees, except for how late they lose their leaves.

1 Like

And the fruit trees leaves are still all green. Two apple trees, cherry tree, and a flowering pear. It’s gonna be December before all those leaves are down.

Who knew Rosanne Rosanna Danna was a prophet?

6 Likes

Or, “with regard to,” which would also be acceptable but less concise.

3 Likes

Well they say TP sticks to sh#t😁

7 Likes

Everyone needs to stop saying “if you will” after making a statement.

2 Likes

That’s a good one. I find myself about to say it, then am able to stop.