The pet peeves thread

My pet peeve is when people live in an area that has lots of fields (with fields come rodents), but complains the cats in the neighborhood are pooping in their uncovered sandbox. You chose the neighborhood pal, cover the sandbox. The cats are providing a service free of charge.

I’m a little pissed off because that neighbor had my cat trapped and euthanized.

7 Likes

I’d be all sorts of pissed of too. We do live in a somewhat rural area. I’m not sure how many rodents our cats kill, but we haven’t had any in the house or garage. Although that last part may be in part that we have to mini-doxies who were bred to hunt rodents and other small critters.

2 Likes

I do this all the time; it seems like my brain is incapable of remembering the rule, I occasionally look the rule up, correct the usage in question, and then immediately forget the rule.

The use of verbs as nouns, or nouns as verbs also makes me crazy, but it’s so common now, that I think it’s just generally considered acceptable.

1 Like

The one that I can’t believe gets mixed up…then/than

How can someone possibly do that?

4 Likes

there/their/they’re

ugh

2 Likes

WOW! Is that even legal!

Decades ago, I lived next door to a woman who loved birds and had bird feeders of all types everywhere in her yard and bird seed all over her patio. This was in an urban setting, near Judge Memorial High School. Of course nature being what it is, the cats in the area would have a bird meal occasionally.

The woman became infuriated, and bought a cat trap. When ever she caught a cat, she’d take it to the county animal shelter. I suppose if no one ever claimed the animal, they may have been euthanized, but usually, it as a neighborhood cat, and the owner would drove across town after a phone call from the county and reclaim it.

This went on for most of a summer, until someone kicked her front door in and dumped a box of cat litter on the floor, when no one was home. The culprit could have been any of a dozen or so neighbors, who were tired of driving across town to retrieve their cat.

The woman retained all her bird feeders, but stopped throwing bird seed all over the patio and the problem disappeared.

The story is a perfect example of how no one in involved acted like a good neighbor.

3 Likes

The problem is that we all tend to allow concerns about word usage to affect our thinking, which has a negative effect on our writing.

2 Likes

Trust me, revenge immediately came to mind. I just couldn’t follow through as I’m not “that guy”.

3 Likes

Unbelievable. We have two indoor-outdoor cats. I would do something. Not sure if you can report that as a cruelty to animals offense or something similar.

I am so sorry.

1 Like

I had a slightly eccentric uncle who’s most frustrating pet peeve, as the use of acronyms. He once threw a school teach out of his house for using the term PE.

2 Likes

That is awful!

1 Like

I’ve gotten more and more annoyed over time with simply lazy or inexplicably odd pronunciation of words, especially by those who employed on TV and radio who should, one would think, have a stake in decent diction. My cases:

1. The mysterious disappearing “T” in words like mountain and important. So many times we hear “moun-Un” and “im-por-Unt.” It’s ridiculous. Put your tongue to the roof of your mouth right behind your teeth and make a T with it.
  2. The Utah brogue that makes Mel, mail, and male all sound alike. The other day one of KSL’s traffic reporters was breathlessly reporting on an issue on I-80 near, “Moun-Un Dale.” Many years ago I went by a marque at a DI that read, “Take off the chill with a great sweater deal.” You just knew they thought that rhymed.
6 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if people telling me they got a great deal are talking about a pickle.

4 Likes

How about

“I have two tickets for sell”

Sale! Dammit!

6 Likes

LOL…Utah is the land of the silent “T”. LayUn

4 Likes

LOL, ok here’s my most annoying pronunciation pet peeve: (I don’t want to sound like a bigot, but it does seem to be a rural or small town thing);

St. George - pronounce Saint Jarge,
horse - pronounce harse
corn - pronounce carn.

Edit to say: I was told a long time ago by someone whose knowledge of Mormon history I trusted, that these are a hold over from something known as the Mormon Alphabet, and that they were very common in Utah and southern Idaho until a few generations ago. No idea if that is true, anyone know? (And again, this should not be construed as taking a shot at Mormons).

2 Likes

Mumbling instead of speaking. The angst about it has only gotten worse as I have aged…like rotting trash. :wink:

2 Likes

I cringe whenever I hear the word “meta.”

2 Likes

It’s sail you knucklehead.

3 Likes

I inadvertently did that one the other day. I received the strangest look. I had to tell someone, yeah I grew up in Utah, the land of the dropped Ts. For the life of me I can’t recall what word I dropped the T from, I just remember the look.

4 Likes