The pet peeves thread

Never look too close at your heroes. They will always end up letting you down.

2 Likes

How quickly scam phone calls devolve into slurs directed at my mother.

1 Like

I have no doubt that’s true. It’s also reassuring.

1 Like

Driving down S Temple today going 38 in a 30. Was tailgated the entire way down the street. I just don’t understand.

4 Likes

It’s Utah. Passive-aggressive driving is the norm.

8 Likes

It’s the norm here in Ea. NC too, along with turn signals usage as a suggestion, not a requirement, and exiting the freeway from lane furthest from the exit you need.

3 Likes

Here on my weird island in the Puget Sound, there’s a not insignificant group of drivers who travel at 38 miles per hour, no matter the speed limit.

55 limit on the highway? 38.
30 limit on the main road through town? 38.
Where it changes to 40 on the main road? 38.
Your residential neighborhood? 38.
School zone? 38.

It’s bizarre to me and it really goes to show it has nothing to do with following the rules, or even being in a hurry - it’s just that a lot of people are lazy and selfish and do whatever is best for them.

10 Likes

It’s the “rules don’t apply to me” attitude. “Everyone else should play by the rules, but not me if it inconveniences me”

6 Likes

We need Captain Teague to come do some enforcement. :wink:
#PiratesoftheCarribean

4 Likes

They’re like my grandfather when people asked his age. He’d say: “38 and holding.”

4 Likes

Door to door salespeople. Whatever they are selling, I’m not buying.

4 Likes

Honestly, whenever I drop something in between the seats of my car, especially if it’s small and I just can’t reach it. One of my biggest pet peeves.

4 Likes

One of the joys of working from home is unwanted knocks on the door. (The No Solicitors Please sign is invisible to them apparently)

2 Likes

With the dog going ballistic and you can’t get on mute fast enough …

“I’m not selling anything, but just wondering if you want my guy to take a look at ______ when they are in the area tomorrow …” uh-huh.

1 Like

So many of them say “I saw your sign but I’m not selling anything, I just want to tell you about…” then offers a ‘service’ (roofing, windows, lawn care, tree removal, pest control, etc.)

5 Likes

Very common tactic in sales. I do something resembling that dozens of times daily and it works. Not a door to door salesman though. I would never.

2 Likes

Ugh, this.

2 Likes

No Soliciting sign doesn’t work. No Trespassing sign doesn’t work. Maybe this sign:

Ringing my doorbell or knocking gives me explicit permission to kick you in the crotch

3 Likes

When I get phone calls from solicitors, I immediately ask, “what are you selling?”. They usually say “I’m not selling anything”. To which I reply, “well, then there’s no need to talk to you” and then I hang up.

My question is: Does that line really work? “I’m not selling anything”

2 Likes

Yes it does, but you have to be pretty slick in how you say it. You’d be surprised.

3 Likes