The pet peeves thread

This article reminded me of a pet peeve…everyone with their hand out expecting a tip. Don’t get me wrong, when eating out and having someone wait on me, a tip is certainly warranted. But expecting a tip when you hand me something over a counter? Or worse yet, when I order and pay online, and they solicit a tip before I receive any service. When the only service performed is cashier? Really?? In reality, I just wish employers would pay wait staff an appropriate wage and increase my food bill.

4 Likes

I completely agree with you, but in reality, way too many don’t, so I more frequently tip in those situations simply to support in a small way, good people working in good restaurants. Too many in the food industry moved on during the pandemic and too many very good establishments closed their doors.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1617904358791983109?t=-UgkW-zo05ms_56ntn4tEg&s=19

How is Rocker not on this committee?

2 Likes

Why do we call it “Taco Tuesday” when my family hates tacos?

They like burritos…enchiladas…taquitos…and Chile Rellenos.

Damned LeBron! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

That sounds like a personal issue to talk to your family about and…there is something very suspect about anyone who does not love tacos.

Just sayin. :joy:

4 Likes
1 Like

My short answer to the tipping getting out of control question, is a resounding yes.

3 Likes

So, a quick post-script to my Verizon experience.

After their epic customer service fail over the phone, I was told that I have to take mom’s death certificate and proof of estate executorship to a retail store and they would cancel her service. So I did that on January 23.

The young lady that helped me was very nice and apologetic. We took care of mom’s outstanding Verizon service balance, paid off the balance on her iPhone, and she confirmed that all service had been cancelled and that everything was taken care of.

Guess who got a bill in the mail from Verizon today for mom’s phone?

10 Likes

At this point, would a strongly worded letter from a lawyer work? You know, tell Verizon to bugger off?

That happens to me practically every time I pay a doctor bill. A few days later I get another bill for the same amount. Left hand, right hand…

2 Likes

I’m looking at it closer, and it does show that the service was cancelled on Jan 23. The $25 bill is apparently for the remaining 7 days in the January billing period.

So if you were going to bill me for the full month regardless (which is BS, but whatevs…not worth fighting over $25), why didn’t that get taken care of when we cancelled? Instead of telling me everything was done; then sending me another bill a couple weeks later?

2 Likes

Because how else would the corporate world get to tell you %&#* you one more time?!

Kidding - sorry for this ridiculous ordeal.

My much more minor one finally is being resolved. Turns out insurance decided they owed a hospital more so paid them and they went back and redid all the deductible and coinsurance amounts. The hospital never told us they were overpaid (we had paid our portiom 6 months prior). So, what’s happening? The hospital is refunding us and we turn right around to pay the insurance bill. So stupid but finally nearly over.

Some employment plans have legal insurance, which for a very modest yearly cost, pays dividends for exactly that: because its likely free, expedient and effective.

1 Like

I was trying to get out of the Avenues Smiths parking lot this evening, and I clearly had the right of way as I was exiting. This jerk insisted on pulling out and nearly hit my car. I mean, he basically bullied his way out of the spot he was in. I let it go but man that kind of stuff makes me crazy.

2 Likes

A former Pastor in our parish used to suggest that people think about courteously interacting with other drivers, the same way you would with people mingling in a crowed living room at a dinner party. No one would aggressively cut someone off moving through a room full of friends in a social situation - simply apply the same degree of deference and patience to driving.

I think about this all the time, but I have to admit, I still need a bit more work at applying all the time.

4 Likes

Yeah, it took me a long time, but now I realize the few seconds of inconvenience (or even them putting me at risk) isn’t worth my time - I just think they are idiots that really have to poop. I’ve been there and probably cut someone off, made poor decisions, but man, it’s urgent :wink: .

I have legal insurance and it has paid off 100x over.

1 Like

My current frustration(s); we host weekly family dinners. My 80 yo MIL (bless her heart) talks with her mouth full and blows her nose at the dinner table. And both in-laws can’t let a call go to vm or text go unanswered as if their lives depended on it.

2 Likes

You are a saint.

Probably can’t do anything about the MIL since she’s set in her ways but you need to put a stop to the phones at the table. That’s so incredibly rude and disrespectful. Just tell them dinner time is phone free time and if they can’t abide then they are no longer invited.