The pet peeves thread

The dumbest part is that someone will either get promoted or fired based on the results.

2 Likes

I’m retired as of a couple of of years ago, but I would not be surprised at all if the person at the other end of your email thread was simply not reading or not understanding your request, in spite of your effort to make it as simple as possible.

In the last 5 years or so of my career, when the percentage of my communication with my staff, my superiors, clients, etc. via email went up dramatically, I increasingly noticed that far too many people either cannot read, or will not take the time to thoroughly read and understand even simple instructions or questions - “I want an answer and I want it now; don’t bother me with details…”.

Communicate, Communicate, Communicate! It’s not that difficult.

My current major pet peeve is how difficult it is to get anyone, anywhere to answer a telephone, and then actually address a complaint or problem. Too many companies, in an effort to reduce costs, opt more and more to force people to interact with them through IVR’s, web based smart or human message threads, voicemail, email, or worst of all, through phone banks based over seas with non-native English speakers (I will give a positive nod to the phone banks in Indonesia as the exception to this rule - many there speak better English and are more helpful than the average American). This problem has been getting worse during the last decade, but became dramatically worse since the pandemic.

3 Likes

Drivers use blinkers “after” they turn into the turning lane.

4 Likes

People who call information for a number they could easily look up in the phone book ! Oh wait, that was thirty years ago :flushed:

5 Likes

This made me think of how totally screwed I’d be if I was stranded somewhere without my phone…in the old days I had memorized the phone numbers of people close to me, now I just hit their name on my contact list, I have no clue what their numbers are…or you could call information because people actually had their numbers published. Sometimes I can barely remember my own number.

6 Likes

People who don’t signal. I just don’t understand it. And pretty much any large truck that tailgates me on the freeway.

2 Likes

People who “gun it” in the parking lot coming to work: while the rest of us are trying to just walk inside without getting run over.

Same for people beating a red light by blasting through an otherwise quiet neighborhood street loaded with kids and elderly folks.

How much time are ya really saving…?

2 Likes

Someone flipping a U turn on an active TRAX line with a train coming.

Haven’t these people seen a “Faces of Death” video?

3 Likes

People that bring 20 items to the 10 items or less line :angry:

3 Likes

People meeting with me and then immediately getting on their phones to browse Facebook.

1 Like

Yikes. Instagram would be ok, but FB?! :wink:

1 Like

There’s still express lanes? Seems like everything is self checkout now. A few full service lanes with no cashier …

2 Likes

I had a new contender for worst customer service experience yesterday, this time with Verizion.

Mom passed away unexpectedly back in October and she had her Verizon bill set to autopay. When I closed the bank account it was being paid from in November, it (obviously) stopped paying her auto-pay. They sent her a bunch of notices via e-mail, but I don’t have access to her e-mail account. They sent a bunch of texts to her phone, but I don’t have her phone’s unlock code. They finally thought to send a hard copy letter, which was forwarded to me. I called them the day I got it, and here’s how that conversation went.

Me: Hi, I’m SkinyUte calling on behalf of my mom, Mrs. SkinyUte.

Verizon: We show this account is seriously overdue. Before we can answer any questions about the account, we need to get the overdue payment taken care of.

Me: OK, but…

Verizon: How would you like to pay for the balance?

Me: Well, here’s what’s going on…

Verizon: Sir, I can’t answer any questions until the balance is paid. How would you like to pay?

Me: I get that, but I need to explain…

Verizon: I’m sorry sir, but we need to get this balance taken care of. Will you be putting that on a credit card?

Me: If you can hold on just a second…

Verizon: We’re happy to answer any questions once the bill is paid. How would you like to do that today?

This went on for a minute or two. After he interrupted me to set up payment for about the 10th time, I finally had to just yell: “MY MOM IS DEAD!

There was a long silence on the other end of the line, and he said “I’m so sorry to hear that and I will need to transfer you to another department to cancel service.”

I will never use Verizon for as long as I live after that interaction.

8 Likes

Wow, that was really bad on Verizon’s part. Maybe more accurately the rep’s part. Although training probably had much to do with the rep being a moron.

Hope it improved once you got to the correct department.

2 Likes

I manage all of my elderly mother’s finance’s and health care as she is 88, suffers from Alzheimer’s and simply cannot manage even the simplest things anymore. I have a handful of conversations every week, that are just as frustrating as yours, even though in many/most cases, I setup the account, or at least the online account that has access to it, and have durable power of attorney agreements on file with the company.

There is no end to the trouble that seemingly ever firm and every overworked/underpaid/frustrated customer support rep, will put you through to do anything outside of their preferred workflow for interacting with them.

And, yes, in my experience, Verizon is one of the worst. :frowning:

My condolences for the loss of your mother and my sympathy for what you’re going through to close out her estate.

3 Likes

Spent 45 minutes talking to health insurer just to get a big bill out into review. Simply, we paid near or more than our out of pocket max. Whatever is above that should not be charged. I don’t care about timing or if we or the insurere laid providers. It’s all there. Doesn’t matter when deductible was met. Doesn’t matter when out of pocket max was met. The bill clearly came after that, so why does it take 4 calls and 2 months just to finally get someone to send it to someone to look at. I tried to be as nice as possible and even asked, “what question should i be asking? What am i not thinking of?” So, in 5 days when the review should be done, i probably get to call again and explain it all over again.

4 Likes

I got a letter from Comcast wanting their equipment back…3 years after I cancelled it and 2 years after she passed away.

2 Likes

■■■■ these people.

3 Likes

To me the point is that social media and smart phones are the new nicotine. It’s completely altered how we see social interactions. I dink around plenty on my phone but try to be mindful of those around me.

5 Likes

As one who has worked in Health Care especially Health Insurers for my career I always tell people. Never pay the first 3 bills (a simple doctor visit sure…but any kind of procedure ALWAYS WAIT). Also always pay in installments. Its 0% interest and they are ecstatic about getting paid even a little.

2 Likes