The pet peeves thread

Whatever it is you’re doing, stop doing it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:joy:
Created a new Trust, add myself as co-trustee to my elderly father’s trust (long story), and create a trust for my in-laws. All of that cost me a $50 co-pay.

1 Like

My work phone is getting inundated with random calls all from Utah area codes. 5-10 calls a day from people I dont know. It started a few weeks ago. They never leave a message, which indicates to me they are all sales/spam calls.

With all the Teams, Webex chat technology its rare for me to ever get an actual work phone call. Its odd. I’ve never given my work number out for anything. Ive added my number to the do not call registry and hoping that will kick in soon.

Annoying!

1 Like

I get 2-3 texts a day from “Amazon” or “Paypal” or “Netflix” claiming my account has been locked and I need to click on their random link to unfreeze it.

2 Likes

Nothing suspicious about that, is there? (sarcasm there for the zoobs who don’t understand)

2 Likes

My cell phone number is experiencing the same sort of uptick in the same sort of calls in that same timeframe. Must be someone new in the market. It is certainly annoying.

My son, (late 20’s) never answers any call unless he recognizes the number assuming that if it’s someone that he actually needs to communicate with, they’ll leave a message.

Some time ago, he convinced me to adopt the same practice, and to my knowledge I have not missed a single call of any importance.

12 Likes

Have you ever run out of beer, wine, and distilled spirits in the middle of a blizzard and been cut off from the liquor store due to unplowed roads?

#FirstWorldProblems

11 Likes

The one and only positive thing that came from my stroke was having to quit alcohol. I never would have quit otherwise, and I’d be completely panicked if my wine or martini fixin’s were getting perilously getting low. I’m with you in “spirit” Greg. Don’t break the glass and sound the alarm just yet.

5 Likes

For Lent this year, nixing alcohol is my biggie. I actually had already been cutting back starting in early to mid January. Not sure I’ve missed it, not even the flavors from wine. I’ll still cook with it to deglaze pans and what not, but I may stick with the alcohol cut back after Easter.

I’m cutting way back on caffeine, now that has proven difficult today, the 1st day of Lent. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier.

3 Likes

I’m giving up green peppers for Lent.

7 Likes

I’m giving up my sanity for Lent.

5 Likes

I would give this a star, but I work in health care and virtually every call is a resident, attending, patient advocate or patient. I get about 20 calls a day and the algorithms must recognize this and at least 2-3 are also spam calls.

2 Likes

Why do you think I went to the liquor store yesterday?

3 Likes

Because you go to the liquor store everyday?

9 Likes

Yeah, before I retired a couple of years ago (from health care technology) my son tried repeatedly to convince me to make the same change, but I could not afford to do it while I was still working.

1 Like

I feel your pain. Most of my junk calls come from strange, strange places. I get a few calls from Death Valley, California, every day. The people who do this have also found ways to use local area codes, so that the calls look a little more plausible as real people calling. What I’ve learned to do is to simply not answer my phone unless I know the caller’s name showing on caller ID. That has added great peace to my life. They never leave a voicemail.

3 Likes

The old strategy used to be to try to keep the telemarketer on the line for as long as possible so it was not profitable for them to randomly call anymore. I used to pretend to be a polygamist and ask dozens of questions on how their products or services would help my 27 wives. The conversations were great.

10 Likes

Snowplows “plowing” when there is no meaningful accumulation of snow; so when you actually do have a storm, you end up blowing the budget to smithereens AND the service shows up…whenever.

As one who knows the standards and specifications of how this should be done, the fact that we are here - a day and a half later - and the plows haven’t even done the basic collector roads is totally unacceptable. I live on a circle. I get I am the last series of streets that get plowed. That said, the fact I have to get to U111 and 3500 South East of U-111 to find plowed roads is BS. If I didn’t have an AWD SUV, I would be like a number of my neighbors and my son - totally screwed.

Ok, rant over.

3 Likes

I hate the little buttons on the sleeve plackets of men’s dress shirts. This button:

Many shirts are made in such a way that it’s unduly hard to button that sucker! Especially when I’m in a hurry.

(The only reason I know it is called a placket is that I worked in men’s clothing at good old Castleton’s back in college. I sold lots of shirts. Anyone else remember Castleton’s?)

1 Like

Those buttons are critical to the proper rolling up of sleeves (roll the cuffs up twice, with those buttons fastened).

2 Likes