The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

As a followup to my post a few weeks back about the joys of Drum Corps International shows, here’s a video from last night of our neighbors over in Casper, WY (and one of the original founders of DCI in 1972) The Troopers (thematically based around the 11th Cavalry). They started out fairly simple but sharp, and have managed to survive a massive wave of COVID that had over 40 members out at one time.

They have added some AMAZING theatrical touches for World Championships this week, and most if not all are present in this video.

A lot of you old farts like me who remember when “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly” came out wayyyyy back in the 60s will recognize one of Ennio Morricone’s most brilliant pieces as the centerpiece in this show “The Ecstasy of Gold”. What they do for their drill when it blows into final form just leaves you tingling all over!

GhostOfOCGreg, I hope you jive to this as much as I do!

[BTW it is apparently an old tradition to deceptively label these officially no-no uploads to try and fool the YT algorithm or something. HAHAHA :face_with_hand_over_mouth:]

1 Like

And yes, they were so committed to this theme depicting the wild"voRacious" era of the launch of the oil industry circa 1884 or so, that THEY BUILT A MINIATURE OIL DERRICK…

Now THAT is committment to your craft!

To go along with the Drum and Bugle corps from Southern, and other marching band related posts.

I found this on KSTU’s website. Wasn’t looking for it, just stumbled across it.

A Utah drum corps made it to the Drum Corp International World Championships. I coudn’t have told you such a thing existed, but it’s cool none the less. This is the 1st time a Utah based drum corps has made it to the Championships.

Not a whole lot on them playing, but there is a link in the story to their website.

1 Like

I’m the least “biker” person I know, but I thought of these two great old biker anthems, and since I no longer seem to have a copy of the album went to listen to them on YouTube.

Apparently, YouTube’s suggestion algorithms are getting very good, as it suggested the following tune, which I do still have on the original album, have always loved, and had sort of forgotten about for decades :slight_smile: Another example of the fabulous music that came our of Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

5 Likes

Really love this tune as well.
I think it fits the lexicon:

7 Likes

I’ve still got that album

1 Like

Of course you do :wink:

1 Like

That one and Humble Pie’s Rockin’ the Filmore are two of the best live albums ever.

But I also should add James Gang Live at Carnegie Hall

2 Likes

It’s a classic! Still have it myself

2 Likes
4 Likes

Love The Allman Brothers. This is a red hot version of In memory of Elizabeth Reed.

5 Likes

This Friday, I’ll be seeing Carcass, Mayhem, and Emperor in back-to-back-to-back sets in Vegas.

That’s gonna be an absolute death metal f**king overload…cannot wait.

1 Like
3 Likes

my favorite version !

Jack Bruce, Robin trower "The Last Door" Live '09 - YouTube Old geezers crushing it

2 Likes

Not quite “game face”, but it was what I was listening to at the moment. :wink:

RR

1 Like

I am totally loving this board you have here. Well done.

Yeah, I am kind of on the old side.

4 Likes

@ghostofOCGreg believes their only song was Tusk. :wink::wink::wink:

Just kidding.

2 Likes