The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

Love that song.

1 Like

My father, who’s been gone now for almost 15 years, was an aspiring jazz trumpet player in his youth and worshiped Louis Armstrong (along with other masters of the era like Bix Beiderbecke). We just had a family reunion this last weekend, focused on my mother, who is still with us. Having someone bring this piece to my attention could not have happened at a more appropriate time. Thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a bit of a departure in this thread. I just find “Bolero” fascinating. I also love watching these players’ enjoyment as they are performing it. Look at the smiles on their faces while they listen to their colleagues and wait their turn. The conductor is having a great time too. (She’s Alondra de la Parra, from Mexico and a rare young female conductor at the world-class level.) I wonder if that’s because the piece takes the same theme and repeats it over and over, adding members of the orchestra until everyone’s in. Fun for them all, I’ll bet.

2 Likes

The new Strigoi tune released this morning is just crushing. Oof.

1 Like

Started this podcast with Rich Roll and Malcolm Gladwell. Nails it here:

2 Likes

Wow! Very cool to see a Drum Corps post on Ute fans as it’s such a small community. I was in Drum Corps as a kid in the 70’s. Marched in the first three DCI finals in the Anaheim Kingsmen.

FTFO!

1 Like
4 Likes

3 Likes

That is a spectacular gold top Les Paul…

This kid was 11 yrs old at the time !

WOW… Small world eh?/ I marched for Ogden High School (Utah) 1977-1980. SOmeone recently showed me the “FromThePressbox” site which has a fairly exhaustive history of scoring events. Including al the way back to summer 1977 when the high school band went to Edmonton Klondike Days. We marched at a competition next to then-under-construction COmmonwealth Stadium. I looked in the records and yep there we were, 5th place - but we were small, marching around in a block, and doing the high stepping marching… Basically none of us kids had EVER seen DCI before. After I graduated in 1980 2 of my bandmates went off to join SCV, so I’ve always had a soft spot for them. I attended the very first Corps Encore in Ogden at Weber State stadium, and encountered Phantom Regiment back when they had the capes, pith helmets, the whole 9 yards. I adopted them as well.

It was truly a wonderful thing to see my own experience recorded on that site.

Have you been watching or following at all this year? I invested in the FLomarching site for 2 months, long enough to get to the world finals. The Utah DBC “The Battalion” founded 2014 is going to finals for first time ever.

1 Like

Very cool! Know many people who marched in SCV in that era because when our corps folded (Anaheim Kingsmen - DCI’s first champion) half went off to SCV and Blue Devils. Loved Phantom and their classical music BITD.

I subscribed to FLO this year and I love it. I know who Battalion is. They are an up-and-comer. It was and still is a great activity for young people.

FOund this in case you’re interested. Intermission Drum and Bugle Corps is one of the funniest parody things Ive seen in years!

1 Like

I’m from the Boston area, so I have to star this.
I remember going by a club on Main street Hyannis one summer where all the early bands hit the summer circuit and seeing a band on the marque that said Aerosmith and I said “Dad, what’s an Aerosmith” and he replied “I don’t know, those hippies cant spell…”

2 Likes

Who doesn’t love Tom Petty?

2 Likes

Sad to say, Judith Durham has passed away. Terrific singer.

6 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Sorry. Saw this thread and couldn’t resist.

RR

1 Like
4 Likes