The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

2 Likes

This is very nice

3 Likes

Edit to say: my 30 year old son ask me if I was familiar with Buddy Holly’s music. I gave him the readers digest version of the info below, and then spent a couple of hours on YouTube listening to a lot of his old music and other’s covers of this music.

I was not quit 3 years old when Buddy Holly died in February 3rd of 1959. As such, I really never heard any of his music directly. However, over time I realized that there is a large number his tunes I know because they were covered as I grew up by a variety of musicians. And not just cover bands, but some of the best of my young life and some of my favorites, including the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Derek and The Dominoes, Blind Faith, John Lennon, Hot Tuna, Paul McCartney, Linda Ronstadt, Grateful Dead, James Taylor, and Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen.

I’m still occasionally surprised to hear a recording of a tune I really like, only to find that it was originally written and recorded in the 50’s by Buddy Holly.

His style was definitely, at once, of his era, and still, unique to him.

And of course his death marks The Day the Music Died.

Most people are unaware of how much of his music they have heard.

My personal favorite, which I saw performed live by this band, in 1969, at the old Salt Lake Palace:

Runner up, which I saw this band perform at the so-called Dirt Palace at the Utah State Fairgrounds, in 1970 (sans Duane Allman).

4 Likes

How many of you experienced this in person? :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

It’s so close, kiddos.

Mayall died today, which is a monumental musical loss. I went looking for the best tune off my favorite Mayall album, and literally could not pick one. So here’s a link to the album instead, there is not a bad tune on the album.

What a loss…

Edit to say: that I saw this group at the old Terrace Ballroom sometime in the early 70’s. As a young man, his guitarist, Freddie Robinson was huge in my guitar playing development, largely just by opening my eyes to other musical forms.

7 Likes

Gojira played the opening ceremonies and went HARD.

Absolutely epic.

5 Likes

I saw that! The whole opening ceremonies were fantastique. I Think I’ll start a thread for the Olympics for those who tune into those things.

3 Likes

If you grew up during the 60’s and 70’s, these guys were on every rock station’s playlist. I did not realize they have this kind of staying power. Good article.

The Biggest Band in America in 2024 Is…Creedence Clearwater Revival (yahoo.com)

John Fogerty Tickets (tickets-center.com)

Maybe Cam will make an appearance at the concert…would be so cool to have him on stage with John,

The John Fogerty Incident - “Bad Moon Rising” - Red Rocks 2023 (youtube.com)

5 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Amorphis’ “Tales From the Thousand Lakes” is a genre classic. Released in 1994, it was a stunning shift from standard death metal into melodic folk metal that hadn’t really been done before (or done this well, anyways). The album’s one glaring weakness were the clean vocals, which were…not great. I remember one review saying “Amorphis tries to mix in some clean sections, which doesn’t really work”. The “doesn’t really work” line has become my benchmark phrase for metal bands who try to blend in bad clean vocals. :laughing:

Since then, the original singer left and Tomi Joutsen has been their frontman for the past 20 years. Tomi is an absolute vocal powerhouse with bellowing death growls and rich cleans. He’s a massive improvement in every way.

For the album’s 30th anniversary, Amorphis did a live re-recording of “Tales” with Tomi at the helm. It’s an absolutely stunning re-creation and while the janky old vocals had their charms, Tomi’s new version is absolutely amazing. It vastly improves on an album that was already a classic, which I didn’t think would be possible.

They’ll be playing SLC with Dark Tranquility next month, and I cannot wait to see them live again. They always put on an amazing show.

3 Likes

This one is for @SkinyUte cuz he brought her and the song up the other day. It has since been stuck in my head. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

My personal misery must be shared! :joy:

3 Likes

lol

INXS…one of the greats. Thank you for posting.

1 Like

Bad gamer! I shall now inflict the Luckydo song on you in honor of Pandaria https://youtu.be/VSgzkKxTgLk?si=MzF5Ke3fJ06EteGG

What’s your Lucky Do is quite entertaining and makes me laugh.