The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

In honor of a family member who passed away this week. It was his favorite song.

4 Likes
1 Like

Wow! Thanks for posting! I haven’t thought about these guys in years - digging out some old albums :slight_smile:

I saw them live at Kingsbury hall in the early to mid 80s, they were great!

You’re welcome! Every 2 or 3 months I get into a fusion phase and revisit the past. Return to Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Luc Ponty , Tony Williams Lifetime , Miles etc… great headphone music !

2 Likes

RIP Harry. Love this song.

8 Likes

The Muppet Show was amazing. Music that my parents loved and a core memory from my childhood.

6 Likes

A great humanitarian to boot !!

3 Likes

Bell Witch is a funeral doom band out of Seattle that I find to be quite remarkable.

Their last two albums - “Mirror Reaper” in 2017 and “Clandestine Gate” last week - have been single 90 minute tracks that are much more “auditory experiences” than “songs”. Each one slowly and deliberately shifts and morphs through moods and soundscapes ranging from the uplifting and triumphant to complete and crushing despair (side note: “Mirror Reaper” was written in response to one of the original band members death in 2016). Every single note is precisely placed to hold purpose and meaning, and the emotion of each of these albums is palpable.

It’s not an easy or casual listen by any means, and won’t be many people’s cup-o-tea. It’s remarkably dark, depressive, heavy stuff that somehow carries a core of hope and joy. However, I find that if I’m in the right mood and have time to throw on the noise cancelling headphones and disappear into a dark room for a while, Bell Witch is a band that makes me feel all the things. :slight_smile:

Also, “Mirror Reaper” has my all-time favorite cover art. It’s beautiful and tragic and massive and overwhelming all at once.

This is one of the few Bob Dylan songs where I can easily say another artist outdid him on it, and his version with Johnny Cash is really good.

3 Likes

I had the pleasure of seeing Black Sabbath with Ozzie (1979?), and then again with Ronnie James Dio (1980?). I vaguely remember both concerts being great.

3 Likes

I saw Sabbath in 1972. The Volume 4 Tour. It was great.

My understanding of metal is pretty much Black Sabbath, and Lucifer’s Friend.

3 Likes

The entire soundtrack to Inside Llewyn Davis is excellent. Oscar Isaac has a great voice.

1 Like

RIP Gordon Lightfoot

9 Likes
6 Likes

I play this song every time we go up to visit family as we get near the border. My kids would groan. :joy:

4 Likes

Crap, this is sad. As I’ve gotten older the more I like his music. “Sundown” being one of my favorites of his.

3 Likes

The woman who gave John Bellushi his final speedball was one in the same

3 Likes

Truth is stranger than fiction.

I’ll never hear Lightfoot’s Sundown the same way.

4 Likes
1 Like

Billie Strings is coming to the Maverick Center Oct 10

1 Like