The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

2 Likes

Wes’ solo on this tune (which starts at the 2:30 mark), is about three minutes of the best jazz guitar ever played. The rhythm section (one of the greatest of all time) does a great job of hearing what Wes is thinking/playing and emphasizing/accenting it, particularly Kelly and Cobb.

4 Likes

Tha cat could swing !!:sunglasses:

2 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

T-Pain’s cover of Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs” absolutely blew me away. It’s honestly INCREDIBLE.

I never in a million, billion years would have expected to write the above sentence, yet here we are.

10 Likes

Pretty damn good. And I say that as a person who considers Sabbath as one of the top bands of all time.

Good find Skiny

Turns out T pain can sing. His tiny desk on NPR was good as well.

3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

After no concerts in 8 months, I’ll be seeing 3 shows in the next four weeks.

First up is Insomnium/Enslaved this Saturday. I’ve been an Enslaved fan for decades and really dig Insomnium’s “Winter’s Gate” album from 2016.

Next Friday will be Ministry/Gary Numan/Frontline Assembly. While I haven’t really listened to Ministry since the mid-90’s (the “Psalm 69” album) but they still have some absolute bangers. I will definitely still jump in the “old man pit” for Thieves. :laughing:

While I never really got into Gary Numan (he was simply the “Cars” guy), I’ve been listening to a ton of his stuff lately…and it’s really, really good. “The Pleasure Principle” album sounds like it could have been released yesterday.

Frontline Assembly has long been my 2nd favorite industrial band.

On May 4, we’ll be seeing Skinny Puppy for their farewell tour. SP is my all-time favorite band, as my avatar and name show. While I’m sad I won’t get to see them again (this will be the 6th time), I cannot freaking wait for this show. I’ve longed maintained that if nightmares had soundtracks, it would be Skinny Puppy.

2 Likes

Besides Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, I have zero understanding of metal; but I love your passion for the genre in particular and music in general.

2 Likes

WASP and Armored Saint just announced a date here in august. If anyone wants to donate to the 400 bucks to meet Blackie, let me know! :wink:

4 Likes

Something (likely the sound system at Dan’s) put this tune in my head this morning, and I’ve been happily singing it ever since. After dinner I sounded out the chords and played/sang it half the evening.

I remember the tune from my youth, but three things:

1. What is with the lyrics (“tambourines and elephants are playin’ in the band?”) I would have thought that by 1970 there were no more acid lyrics…
  2. When it was on the charts, no one I knew would claim the tune, even though it was always requested, and in the top ten, why, too country/down home?
  3. How can anyone listen to this tune and not feel upbeat? (rhetorical - I realize it hits a sweat spot in my youthful memories, and mostly no one else’s :slight_smile:

Oh, and this must be one of the early “Music Videos” (there is certainly no one playing a Dobro on the video).

5 Likes

Wow!

3 Likes

I have a “sweat” spot too, but I think it’s due to the warm weather.

I always liked that song, even though I don’t really care for country music as a general rule.

2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes