The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

3 Likes

This will take certain people here back a few years.

4 Likes

Another great one for Black History Month. Elizabeth Cotten is a true Blues and Folk legend… born in 1893, she composed the beloved, iconic Freight Train in 1904 at age 11 (!!!). She eventually had to step away from music to make ends meet for her family, and the world was robbed of her greatness for decades until she re-emerged in the 1950s. Just last year, she was finally inducted posthumously into the Rock & Roll HOF.

__

** edit to add ** I would be remiss not to also post Freight Train. This is Cotten performing it live at age 93… again, she wrote it 82 years earlier, at age 11. A true icon… influential beyond words.

10 Likes

She played the guitar upside down (left handed player, playing a guitar strung for a right hander), which partially accounts for her unique style. It’s nice that you posted some video which shows each hand adapted to the upside down guitar.

4 Likes

Almost as much of a joy to see her play as it is to hear her. She also pioneered the two-finger picking style that bears her name.

3 Likes

This is Elizabeth Cotten with her granddaughter on vocals. Such a great song.

7 Likes

I have a buddy who did the same and is an excellent player, but it seems so hard to even imagine

2 Likes

Trekkie

Ghost is touring with Amon Amarth this summer, and will be in Utah in August. Both are excellent live bands that would highly recommend seeing if you can.

I’m even gritting my teeth and going to Usana, my absolute least favorite music venue in the state.

2 Likes

Maybe the entire planet.

2 Likes

Truth.

It’s such a terrible venue

1 Like

Has all the charm of a German pill box with aggresive security douchebags

1 Like

What do you expect from a venue, built in a gravel pit, surrounded by industrial buildings and uses?

It definitely ain’t Deer Valley, Red Butte, or Tuacahn.

2 Likes

I had an MRI this morning and asked to listen to Jazz while in the machine. The music was from a satellite channel, and It made an otherwise noisy boring experience WAY more than tolerable. The selections I heard were two classic jazz instrumentals bookending two wonderful songs (I posted different performers of the two songs, as those on the station were unremarkable). I as actually disappointed that they stopped the procedure in the middle of Joy Spring.

7 Likes

Sorry you’re in the tube at all.
Hope you’re doing OK.
Even with the headphones on its like listening to a bucket of rocks falling down stairs…

2 Likes

To say nothing of Red Rocks or Hollywood Bowl.
Hollywood Bowl was the most beautiful venue with pristine sound. Go see anyone there.
It will not disappoint.

4 Likes

The Gorge Ampitheatre in Central WA is another venue that every live music fan should try to visit in their lifetime.

4 Likes

My personal favorite venue has been the pool deck on the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise.

Spending 4 days headbanging to death and black metal on the deck of a cruise ship under the Caribbean sun is truly a sublime experience.

1 Like

Wow! Thats like, Altered States shiz.

3 Likes