The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

I heard this song on the sound system at Home Depot yesterday, and remember loving it in the early 70’s when it was first recorded, but could not recall that it was Loggins and Messina. It seems they didn’t do much else of note; I never owned any of their recordings and only remember one other song.

This, however is a very catchy, old style, rock and roll tune, with some pretty good Chuck Berry-esque guitar, nice piano and sax, and a fun lyric. Been walking around with it stuck in my head ever since.

3 Likes

Here’s the true story of their partnership in this brilliant low-budget mocumetary. NSFW/Language warning :wink:

2 Likes

For some reason this has always been one of my favorite Neil songs.
Graham Nash. What a talent.

1 Like

I’m partial to Cortez the Killer

1 Like

I love both Cortez the Killer and Don’t let it get you down.

When he last came to Utah at Usana, he played Down by the River which lasted probably 15 or 20 minutes.

Same tour: Neil Young and Promise of the Real, Down by the River, Desert Trip - YouTube

2 Likes

Is Promise of the Real Willie Nelson’s kids ?

1 Like

Lukas Nelson is Willie’s son & is the singer for POTR. His voice sounds almost exactly like Willie’s but their sound is more classic rock than country.

For several years they would play on Labor Day weekend at Snowbasin. They are a great band.

3 Likes

David Jolicoeur from De La Soul passed away this weekend.

3 Likes

After watching the Netflix special “Cunk on Earth,” I now have this stuck in my brain.

Damn you Diane Morgan and the BBC! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

This. Whole. Album. If you love The Beach Boys, this one is really fun. Highly recommend it.

2 Likes

I think this is fantastic. I had never heard them sing it with Andy Williams before today.

10 Likes

Never thought I’d give a star to Andy Williams, but that was good !

2 Likes

This was a great song written by Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne. I know he’s a Grammy winner among other accolades. He died of COVID in 2020 but left a string of great songs behind. I always thought this song in particular was really cool and very well written.

4 Likes

The Oh-nee-ders

3 Likes

A unique album - who else, ever, in their heyday, released a live album of covers? They’re all great, but the only one that even then, anybody was familiar with was Barbara Ann. Every tune showcases one of the primary Beach Boys calling cards - their vocal harmonies.

2 Likes
4 Likes

“You guys look great in red; have I told you that?”

1 Like

Just listened to this. Hadn’t heard it in a long time.

5 Likes

I heard Winwood play this tune with the same group, probably the same tour, in 2005ish at Kinsgbury Hall, but had no idea, until I read about the tune just now, that it was a cover of a tune written and originally recorded in 1972, with an interesting story. (The guitar work on the 2005ish version is really interesting.)

I’ve always loved Winwood, as a composer, singer, and musician. I first saw him live at the age of 13 at the old Salt Palace in the summer of 1969, and have a really big stack of albums of his.

4 Likes