The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

Happy Birthday, Ziggy Stardust

6 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Several of the members of the band Yes have passed away in the 14 years since this was recorded. This rendition is acoustic.

As one of the commenters notes, this piece is full of chord progressions, key changes, and time signature changes. Great musicianship. These guys were true artists.

7 Likes

…you don’t often see a fretted acoustic bass guitar like that either; can’t be sure, but it looks like it’s made by Martin.

2 Likes

A great old tune! (The first tune on the Yardbirds album I posted in the Jeff Beck thread made me think of this - not sure why, tempo maybe?)

5 Likes

Two great tunes, by very gifted blues guitarists, about 50 years apart.

5 Likes

Dead Or Alive (of infamous Pete Burns fame) did a killer remake of Rebel Rebel in the 90s

2 Likes

This is a favorite JT song for me, and one of his most beautiful songs. I go through a a JT phase or two a year and as I grow older I appreciate him, his guitar playing, and his voice more and more. Amazed at how much energy he still has. He puts on a great show.

5 Likes

Was there ever anyone more bombastic than this guy? The late, great Leslie West.

4 Likes

Here’s another great one.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Lot of good stuff here. wow.

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Absolutely loved this song from the moment I heard it. The original studio version has, IMHO the crispest drum sound of all. But I like to see live performers and Vinnie is amazing as well.

4 Likes

This is a great performance. I thought about Glenn Frey the other day because I remembered seeing him on Dan Patrick not too long before he died. I believe Jackson Browne co-wrote this song. A real banger. RIP Glenn.

3 Likes

The last several posts are the reason I always check this thread first :slight_smile:

Some lesser known guitarists and what I’ve been listening to tonight… how about two Greens, and two Freddies:

You won’t hear Freddie Green (except for his world class comping) until around four and a half minutes in, but then you’re treated to the master of Jazz Guitar understatement’s idea of a chord solo.

Peter Green, with Fleetwood Mac, who is way too little known, considering his talent.

Freddie Robinson, who I was privileged to see at the old Terrace Ballroom with Mayall in the early 70’s, was a jazz/blues fusion player before the genre was invented.

4 Likes

Damn…

7 Likes