Returning for 2023

So who is still pending? Vele and Rising (depending on the injury, he might not even he ready or available to play next season)? I would guess Vele should he back. Someone did a schollie count. Are we still good or expecting a few more to enter the portal?

It’s just been announced that Vele is returning. Vele and Kuithe should both help whoever’s at QB a lot, especially if it’s Nate.

6 Likes

Rising coming back

https://twitter.com/i/status/1612510017126805506

10 Likes

Now…if we just don’t lose any more to the portal. Like Nate Johnson.

6 Likes

Great news. Let’s hope for superb surgical and rehab care.

7 Likes

Rising’s health is still a bit of an unknown next year. Hopefully Nate Johnson will stick around, given he seems to have a legitimate shot at some serious playing time, and maybe even being QB1 if things don’t go well for Rising.

9 Likes

I hope Nate Johnson isn’t impatient but when he signed he knew Rising had two years of eligibility. If he’s not pushing for #2 after spring practice maybe he would leave at that point.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget Brandon Rose either. He’s no slouch. I think Nate Johnson with his speed had an opportunity for Whitt and Ludwig to use in some special packages, but hopefully Nate and Brandon both develop and are viable options (and stick around). Barnes has hit his ceiling as a backup I would think, but I’m guessing he wouldn’t transfer just to play as I think he knows college is it for him.

8 Likes

It will be interesting to see how Rose & N Johnson develop. We know Barnes can win a road game against a PAC team that got to a bowl, which is significant.

The really important thing for any of our QBs is the OL and the other pieces that take the pressure off, so I have confidence in whoever Ludwig has confidence in, and if his rehab extends Cam is like a QB coach himself.

One group that needs some recognition last season are the WRs. It’s been an uphill battle for that group to emerge, but Vele, Dixon & Parks did exactly that, with a big contribution from Solo in leadership & all the other stuff needed. Hopefully Parks builds on how Dixon broke out late, and we’ll see who emerges from the newbies.

Another player who could mimic what Dixon did is Munir McClain. We’ll see, the TE room is pretty full, but guys are coming off injuries. McClain & Kuithe could both play some oversized WR, it seems.

7 Likes

Harlan said Ute Nation would be happy with who was coming back. He certainly didn’t disappoint. I think we have all the pieces to make a run at the CC again. USC & Oregon will be top-10 capable as well. The one final piece I’d like to add — one more dynamic WR. If I had the authority to choose I’d make a play for Joey Hobert out of Utah Tech.

3 Likes

Today did a lot to take the sting out of last Monday. Glad to see all that proven offensive talent back for one more year!

3 Likes

Utah football’s Cam Rising announces he will return in 2023 (sltrib.com)

1 Like

Was that seriously only a week ago? I swear, the past week has felt like a damn year.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that Utah has not defeated a P5 opponent outside the P12 in 5 years. Gotta admit, that one stung a bit.

6 Likes

Utah will put an end to that in its next game, the 2023 season opener against Florida.

Seriously, it Utah can fimd a game-breaking WR in the portal, I think next season could be special. However, Oregon, USC, and Washington will be very good.

3 Likes

Sounds like something someone cheering for that team in Provo would point out. No one examines Utah’s schedule as closely as they do to try to throw shade. While disappointing, every conference win is a P5 win if I am not mistaken.

7 Likes

If healthy, this may be the best team we’ve ever had. It will also be the toughest schedule we’ve ever had (but 7 home games!). It’s going to be a fun one! I think we might have a better offense, defense, and ST (low bar there, but new kicker covers it) in 2023 than 2022. Agree that a lights-out WR would be a big difference and both lines need to perform up to ability.

• Should be able to handle UF at home and Baylor on the road
  • USC defense will still be suspect but offense will score a lot of points. Away game is tough. Last time in the Coliseum for us for a looooong time. Might try to make that one
  • Washington same. Away game is tough
  • Oregon will be good on both sides. At least we have them at home
  • Oregon St. will be tougher with DJ being a competent qb. Away game is tough
  • Pyne going to ASU will help them but they are emerging from a flaming dumpster
  • UCLA will be down with DTR and Charbonnet gone
  • UA isn’t a gimme and a roadie
  • CU won’t compete yet (might, might make a bowl) and depth issues will help us when we play them last
  • Cal is poop
4 Likes

And sometimes even ranked. Very highly in fact.

3 Likes

Yes, it was a BYU fan who pointed it out.

Even so, it’s not a great look to be 0’fer outside the conference for 5 years running.

Well, that’s like 4 games against P5 OOC opponents.

By my count…Ohio State, Texas, Northwestern, and Florida

Edit: 5 Penn St

1 Like

Ah, yes. I should have remembered that this is the year when the renewal notices will say, “Yes, the price went up, but we didn’t raise the price per game.” Last year was one of those with, “Hey, the price is the same as last year,” without pointing out that it’s one fewer game.

3 Likes