Most overrated restaurants in SLC?

Taggart’s carrot cake is unparalleled, IMO.

The cheesecakes are tremendous, too.

As for the rest of the menu, I’m not a huge fan of the dinner items except for the dutch oven pot roast. I’d go out of my way for that every time. The prime rib is pretty good.

I think the entire pita pizza thing is weird. Just make a pizza.

I like the place but it’s neither outstanding nor a good value bet. The desserts are definitely the stars.

I enjoy driving up there on a summer evening or a dark winter night to get the comfort food. It’s good, but don’t go expecting to be blown away by either the atmosphere, service or food. Except the carrot cake. Oh that carrot cake. I think I’m going to go up there tonight now.

I agree. Taggart’s is good but nothing is great except for the Halibut au gratin, pot roast and prime rib, burgers are really good. Pizza on a pita is a pass.

ARISE THREAD!!

Mrs. SkinyUte and I wanted to try somewhere new for a date last night, so we went to Garage Grill in Herriman. It’s a pretty cool looking building with an car theme, and the menu looked pretty good. It ended up being the worst meal I’ve had in a long time, and the service was even worse.

Started with the sodas being completely flat, and the server got pissy when we asked for new ones. Acted very put out when we asked for actual menus because we didn’t get any cell service in the building to access their online menu via the QR code. When she did finally bring them 10 minutes later, she threw them on the table and said “Just so you know, those are old menus so there’s a bunch of stuff on there that we don’t have anymore” and just…walked away.

I had a “Mustang Burger” that was supposed to be a burger topped with an onion ring, pulled pork, and BBQ sauce (shut up…yesterday was my cheat day). The burger was basically a dry hockey puck, the onion ring was burnt, and the bun was completely stale. The side of onion rings were way overdone as well.

Mrs. SkinyUte had some nachos (that weren’t terrible) then asked for a side salad with no onions on it. The salad came out with a little bit of lettuce on a plate that was completely buried by shredded cheese. It was literally probably a 2:1 cheese to lettuce ratio.

Terrible food and crappy service, absolutely do not recommend.

Maybe that is because they made it with real Mustang.

4 Likes

It would have been just as bad if it had been made with any other kind of car.

3 Likes

Another great Italian restaurant on 25th street in Ogden is Ravoli’s. It too is located within a historical building with some hauntings (according to the owner, Alex). The lasagna with meat sauce is worth driving from Bountiful for and it doesn’t cost $34.

2 Likes

Italian…with my Colosimo Sausage stash I make a “Spaghetti Western” that’s better than any restaurant. :wink:

1 Like

It isn’t gonna make any find dining list, but La Ferrovia on 25th is run by a dear freind and her husband who emigrated from Napoli, so you know THEIR food will be authentic simple fare from that region.

2 Likes

WELL worth a visit!

Last week when I wanted to get donuts for the class I’m teaching I bought them from Banbury because it is close by me. My students loved them. That’s the extent of my knowledge of donuts in the SLC area.

Edit: I was waited on by a very pleasant woman with a sense of humor who seemed to be from what we used to call Eastern Europe. The experience brightened my morning.

1 Like

Ruth’s Diner. I’m so tired of hearing anything about that place besides the locaiton.

3 Likes

Best restaurant on 25th is Table 25. Just up from Wall St.

The food is mediocre at best.

1 Like

I think you’re supposed to order the beer. Makes them more money and makes you more buzzed to appreciate the atmosphere.

I do really like Salt Flats beer, so I’ve considered going to the Draper location which is like five minutes away from me. I found out they allow dogs on their balcony so I can take my furry friends. On the weekends they often have a car show in the parking lot.

The reason I haven’t gone yet is because the menu looks like standard pub fare, and my rule of thumb is that a brewpub can either have good food or good beer, but not both. I know I like the beer…

Red Rock has been the only exception to that rule for me.

1 Like

It’s pretty much the location.

My family used to have the occasional Sunday lunch there. This was like the late 80s.

The last time I ate there was ~1992. My friends and I were riding bikes up the canyon, starting from South Salt Lake. I was a fat, out of shape kid who couldn’t make it that far so I stopped and ate breakfast at Ruth’s Diner instead. Being a kid I ordered a second orange juice and didn’t realize it was not free. Barely had enough money and probably tipped poorly.

That’s all I remember of Ruth’s Diner. Clearly the food did not compel me to go back. It’s still there?

1 Like

Too funny. Like my first trip to Idaho years ago. Ordered a baked potato with my steak and was told that they were out of potatoes. I said “It’s Idaho, I thought you could just go out back and stick a shovel in the ground and come up with a potato.” I guess not.

2 Likes

Went to Maddox once with the in-laws for dinner. Ordered the 22oz t-bone dinner, and paid for it for about a week in meat sweats and bloating. :joy::joy::joy:

Overall, it was kinda “meh.” Then again, I really don’t do steakhouses when I go out. I prefer a good Japanese place, pub, or Mexican place.

1 Like

Should have got the Ole '96er.

3 Likes

Maddox is a place I will never understand.

I’ve never found it to be good, the only thing that’s better than average is the butter.

1 Like

I don’t go out enough to have a sensitive palate. If someone else is cooking, I’m usually reasonably satisfied with the food.

But my wife had to go on a business dinner to The Harbor Restaurant on Parleys Way. She said it was good but the scallops were like $75. That’s gotta be overrated right?