Most overrated restaurants in SLC?

I remember coming down to Utah in the 80s and eating at Training Table and thinking it was really good and unique. The burgers were tasty, and the cheese fries were memorable. In 2006 when I moved to Utah we went and tried it again after many years. It had really gone downhill. The food was mediocre and way overpriced. There was a bit of nostalgia when they closed but it didn’t surprise me at all.

6 Likes

Per Noi is great an not pretentious at all.

1 Like

Maddox is like Bear Lake.

People have this sentimentality about both and neither is really that great in reality.

Maddox little basket of homemade breads is probably the best thing they have going for them. The Prime Rib on the nights they have it is fine.

The atmosphere sucks. You are crammed in little rooms with other tables…they feel like you are in a living room for Thanksgiving but…with strangers.

2 Likes

It’s a shame what’s happened there over the years.

25 years ago, that place had an amazing french onion soup and some tasty simple menu items. It wasn’t going to set the world on fire, but you could have a nice meal in a cozy location.

We found ourselves there during the holidays a couple years ago and the soup was watery, flavorless brown swill with a thick layer of mozzarella cheese over the top. Gag.

1 Like

My sentiments exactly. Having waited and some prep cooking in white table-cloth restaurants, I was astounded at the prices at Valter’s when I went (once) for a company event.
Someone’s buying a Yacht for the $34 lasagna. Prolly cost less than $34 bucks to make a whole pan. Maybe 12 slices to a pan…? You do the math

The best steak in town is subjectively my wife’s kitchen.

Seriously, we stopped getting steaks in restaurants because they are far more expensive and less flavorful than we can cook simply at home. Only the really high end steaks cooked at optimal heat with mountains of butter can compete.

In steakhouses I usually opt for lamb chops because my wife hates lamb (but she does makes that well too on occasion).

1 Like

I love good Italian food and am not sure how I’ve never been to Per Noi. (On second thought, was this restaurant located somewhere else before, perhaps on Stratford Ave?) Just looked over the menu and will be trying it ASAP! Anyplace that serves a Tricolore salad has to be worth trying.

Mrs SkinyUte loves Longhorn Steakhouse. I think they’re absolutely horrible, but if we’re going to go out for dinner, that will be her choice 9 times out of 10. She’s had actual good steaks before (been to Ruth’s Chris a few times), but she still always prefers Longhorn.

I don’t get it at all, but will suffer through eating their shoe leather if it makes her happy.

1 Like

I’ll put in a plug for some good Italian food. Its a bit of a drive, but Stella’s on 25th Street in Ogden has become one of my favorites. I could take a bath in their crab and shrimp ravioli sauce. I’ve probably eaten here 25 times and tried a dozen different dishes and they were all very good, with one exception their chicken marsala was rubbery & not very good. (Bonus - Its housed in a building built from the early 1900’s and in the basement, where the bathroom, is an authentic speakeasy from the 1920’s).

25th street also has an excellent Sushi place - Tona

1 Like

I make a respectable lasagna. If I could just get $34 a slice for it…

1 Like

Two of my favorite things, Italian Food, and historic buildings; I’ll happily drive to Ogden to check it out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep. Blue Iguana’s Puntas is also excellent. Nothing else at Blue Iguana is all that good.

Wow Greg car elitist much? :stuck_out_tongue: Some of us cant just pop in a vehicle and waster gas to go on a donut binge LOL SSheesh… AMerica :shrugs:

Both Beardall’s and Roger’s about a mile from my house. :wink:

I have to go about halfway across the valley to get to Dunkin’. :joy::joy::joy:

Take the Frontrunner. You can get off right by 25th St.

4 Likes

YIKES!!! I don’t recall if I ever ate at the one in Sugarhouse, we always went to the 4th south location.

If I had seen what you experienced, I would have called the County Health Department while I was on my way home :frowning:

Market Street subcontracts its bread from Stoneground Bakery, and it’s been that supplier for as long as I can remember. BTW, since you’re obviously an accomplished Red Iguana aficionado, here’s a secret. Get a pint of mole amarillo to go, take it home and make a grilled cheese sandwich, then dip it it in the mole. It’s absolutely awesome!

1 Like

I don’t know what was going on with the bread.

It’s not what it once was, regardless of who is making it. Ultimately, Market Street is responsible for what they put on their tables.

I miss training table. The cheese fries and dipping sauce were legit. The burgers were good, if not spectacularly better than anywhere else. I am a big bleu cheese fan, and the bleu bacon burger was pretty legit. My kids LOVED calling in their order on the phone.

Banbury Cross has good donuts - had some yesterday. But I’m not super picky when it comes to donuts and will eat them from a LOT of places. So I won’t really go out of my way for them - but if someone brings Banbury Cross, I’ll definitely grab one.

I like Maddox and think they’re pretty good - though some of their stuff isn’t great. A couple of years ago we went there with friends for an anniversary dinner and ordered a NY strip. Server told us they were all out and had to bring us a T-bone instead. It was seriously the largest steak I’ve ever eaten - covered the whole plate and was 2 inches thick. I’ve had a handful that tasted better - but it was awesome.

I haven’t seen Taggart’s Grill mentioned - technically not in SLC. Not too far, but far enough that dining there is an “experience”. Only been once a couple of months ago but food was good - and if you wear a BYU cap the greeter will give you a “go Utes” - not sure what he’ll say if you guys show up in Utah gear.

Note - I’m not all that picky. There’s not many restaurants that make the “I’ll never eat there again” list. I can find something OK to eat about any place I go.

1 Like

Taggart’s Grill is good. Can get crowded so I try to avoid the obvious busy times. Worth the drive in my mind.