Most overrated restaurants in SLC?

$75…for Scallops? just wow!!!

That’s really expensive for scallops, regardless of where you are. Those scallops had better have been perfectly done, with the most exquisite sauce ever for that price.

Just looked at their menu. The only thing worth the price was the Wagyu beef, and that’s because it’s imported and massaged. Most of their prices are overpriced by at least 33%. They’re not the special. I hope the atmosphere was great.

1 Like

Most overrated? Any restaurant that you have to wait more than 20 minutes to be seated.

Example: Market Street.

4 Likes

As a native kid from the “Top of Utah” (Weber COunty and northward), I visited Maddox a lot as a little boy living with Grandma… It’s where I got introduced to Thousand Island Dressing. This was the turn of the 60s-70s mind you.

1 Like

When discussing such places, it is critical to remember that there are plenty of restaurants that are 100% intended for the rich and famous, and will price thigns to make sure the scum of the earth (that’s you and me) dont dare stick their noses in the door. THey want clientele who live by the motto “if you have to ask m you cant afford it”.

Hmmm I didnt know Maddox had any places in Idaho… Where was it?

I spent most of my adult life in foodservice. I know it better than most. Harbor Seafood is OVERPRICED for what you get.

It wasn’t a Maddox, just a restaurant in the scenic Twin Cities area of Rupert-Burley.

2 Likes

I love Harbor. It’s quaint, intimate and consistently wonderful IMO. Yes you pay for it but remember they don’t turn the tables as quickly so they have to charge more. Fine, I’m comfortable with it. Pass me the Grey Poupon!

2 Likes

I had a chance to meet the owner in the course of work one day several years ago

Very nice people, and it’s obvious they care about food. I haven’t had the chance to take him up on his offer to go back and eat.

As for the scallops. If they’re flying in fresh Atlantic scallops, it’s not cheap.

I paid $35 for two slices of pepperoni pizza and two drinks at the Ute game….if we want to talk about overrated and overpriced.

9 Likes

Works for me. Perhaps I’m a bit jaded for having been in the industry for so long. Front of the house (not kitchen) atmosphere does go along ways to making the experience, and so does the staff.

Captive audiences, a la football games or resorts, drive prices up. Gotta love supply and demand at times.

1 Like

The U are kings of that.

It’s why this is our last season as season ticket holders, 39 years of having tickets will come to an end.

2 Likes

I must admit that a lot of the shine is gone from having season tickets and enjoying the games. We’re spending more and more time away from Salt Lake, and I am starting to wonder how long I’ll hang on to my season tickets. I am a little surprised at myself because I am such a diehard Utah fan and have been for nearly 50 years.

When I go out into the west concourse to get a drink or a hot dog, and I can barely move because the crowd is truly cheek by jowl, I wonder just how much the athletics department cares about its fans.

2 Likes

Maybe we need “Amazon Now” for the concessions. You go online through an app, order your food, push the button, and it is immediately delivered to you at your seat. :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

They always just say: “Our renewal rate is 98%”. They lean heavily on that number

1 Like

The world has changed.

A fan is no longer measured by being in a seat and supporting the team. To universities a fan is measured by the amount of money they’re willing to spend.

For various reasons I had been unable to attend a game since our south end zone seats were torn down and we were moved.

Last week I found myself sitting behind a railing an and a piece of plexiglass, as an aisle passes in front of me, so my view is mostly people walking in front of me all game.

In 2019 we enjoyed our 33rd season watching the Utes from the 7th row on the hash marks. In 2020 those seats were now $15,000 a seat…our new seats, that were also more expensive were 39 rows higher.

I know this is a bit of a hijack of this thread, but in some ways it isn’t. I hate saying it, but Rice Eccles has become overpriced, and to me, a bit overrated. It’s corporate these days.

6 Likes

That’s Harlan. I think he’s got pressures that make him act that way but there are still some things they could do to make fans feel appreciated.

We’ve had our five NEZ tickets since 2003. While nowhere near $15k/seat, they’re creeping up to the point where I can no longer afford them.

I fully expect that sometime in the next 5 years we’ll have to get rid of them because it’s too expensive.

This is why I tailgate.

4 Likes