Most overrated restaurants in SLC?

I’m not on the Wasatch front, so how ARE the donuts there? :yum:

1 Like

Drive to Magna to either Beardall’s on Magna Main Street, or to Roger’s Bakery at Reams, located at 7200 West and 3500 South.

Neither will disappoint.

2 Likes

Yep. Great donuts

1 Like

They are good but kind of overpriced if you ask me. The Donut & Deli shop on 2700 & State is better.
Edit: looks like Rocker and I are talking about the same place.

2 Likes

Did the owner say anything about the substance of the statement? If not, I’m not interested in their denial.

2 Likes

Anyone remember Salt Lake Doughnut Company? Back when I ate doughnuts those were remarkable.

I wonder what happened to them.

2 Likes

Don’t eat donuts much but when I do Banbury is a solid choice. Not interested in canceling over that. I’ll still give ‘em my business.

1 Like

Said that that is not an issue for them, that they have not had staffing issues, that their issues are supply chain issues.

Random thought, back in the 80’s there was a burger place (sugar house?) where you order from a phone at your table… is that still around? I remember the food was pretty good but the phone thing seemed gimmicky

The Training Table. It was on 4th South and other locations around town. It closed a few years ago.

1 Like

The only thing I remember about Training Table (beside the phone gimmick) is the BBQ fry sauce.

2 Likes

Training Table cheese fries and mushroom burger were fantastic. Everything else was meh.

4 Likes

I loved the #26 at Training Table, turkey with bacon.

Maddox is fine, but the last ribeye I had there was really flavorless. Probably the most bland ribeye I’ve ever had. No idea if it was just that particular cow that was bland or if it was how they prepared it.

1 Like

The hypocrisy of gladly taking $140k in gov money then blaming everyone else for being too greedy/lazy/entitled just rubbed me the wrong way. The owner would rather cast aspersions and spread falsehoods then pay a competitive wage. Their doughnuts are nothing special and I’d rather spend my money where I don’t have have a ■■■■-tier boomer meme greeting me. Just like I wouldn’t take my car to the shop with the f*ck Biden flag. I don’t care about the political views of the owner of a business I patronize as long as they aren’t shoved in my face.

4 Likes

I tried to go to The Cajun Boil or whatever on 4th South. Waited over twenty minutes and wasn’t greeted by a server for a drink order so I left. A friend of mine was there with some friends at the same time and said I didn’t miss much.

1 Like

The Training Table, on 4th South and 8th East, was where my father-in-law wanted my wife and I to meet them before every Ute Basketball game in the 80’s and 90’s (which we all attended together). The food was good, but the phones and some of the items on the menu were a bit gimmicky. I always ate some sort of burger with an Anaheim chili and sour cream, with an order of fries. The burger was unique, but the fries (without any cheese) were always à la française :slight_smile: .

They later opened another location with the same menu in Sugarhouse on 13th East (I think where the Starbucks is now).

It’s a bit nostalgic for me as the restaurant is now gone, my father in law is now gone, and the Utah Basketball program needs to regain the swagger it had under coaches Majerus, Pimm…

4 Likes

A friend mentioned that business’ that took ppp loans and “can’t” staff don’t have to repay through some loophole. So there are a lot of these owners playing this game of I can’t staff my business but all they’re doing is working their staff into the ground.

3 Likes

Back in the 70s, you could go down and get a huge box of ‘seconds’ (misshaped but perfectly tasty rejects) for like a couple of bucks. Students would drive down there to buy a few boxes and sell the donuts at our high school football games and other events for a nice profit.

2 Likes

Wait. What kind of blood? I mean, most of the time you have me at AB negative…

3 Likes

I saw this thread and was about to post the same things.

Market Street SUCKS. I was dragged there yet again by friends that asked us out to dinner. I can’t believe what I paid and just how terrible the food was. The halibut was overcooked and dry. The crab oscar on top was so fishy and just terrible.

To be fair the calamari was fine.

However, the most appalling thing was the bread. Which always used to be very good. It was soft and just not even close to what you expect from a good sourdough. It was no better than a loaf of “French” bread from a local Smith’s. Just bad.

As for Red Iguana, if you are eating moles, chile verde…the occasional cochinita pibil… then it’s outstanding. If you expect to go there and order a damned burrito or taco or chimichanga, then it’s not going to be special. None of those things is special, regardless of restaurant.

The puntas de filete a la norten(y)a are oustanding and near life changing. The combo of sirloin tips, bacon, onions and jalepenos over a bed of amazing mole de almendras is so so good…

7 Likes