Lohner asking to be released from his LOI to sign with BYU

at the risk of being labeled a Larry apologist, I’m not sure how this one is on Larry?

6 Likes

As a former Mormon who left the church largely due to the absurd and non-stop societal pressure it puts on, this sh*t pisses me off.

It also makes me completely understand how and why this happened, and makes me feel really bad for the kid.

4 Likes

If what I’ve been told is true, I don’t think it’s on Larry. I was hasty in blaming him.

2 Likes

Still blame him. We have a bad team without longer whether it was his fault or not.

??? I’m guessing you’ve not watched Utah basketball since the 90s? Dave Rose was 14-6 against Utah. He owned the Utes.

1 Like

Sorry, Trent. I’ve been around too long to play the baiting game. Maybe someone else here will oblige you.

1 Like

No baiting, just calling out a ridiculously dumb statement. Carry on In Your bubble.

1 Like

That was definitely the mature response.

4 Likes

I say Utah could offer Caleb’s father a terrific job.

2 Likes

The social pressure among the mormons is a real thing. Heck, that was one of Roger Reid’s main recruiting tools. It also feels like BYU did some very blatant tampering - contacting an athlete with an LOI, talking to that recruit’s family, etc…

All that said, you can’t really blame the kid. Dad was out of work, tons of pressure to switch…
Plus, let’s be honest, BYU’s basketball program is simply better at this point. If he transfers, he has a chance to play in the Big Dance. Larry’s teams have not been on that trajectory for a looong time.

3 Likes

A slight chance. They haven’t gone with much more regularity than we have. They do have an easier path in the wcc.

Really, I think he didn’t have much choice. You dad is unemployed, and transferring to BYU is the only way for him to get work. What can you do?

And under Pitino; the poster-boy of ethics.

Good Riddance. Wish him well… yawn.

Newman at the trib has promised a full article today at some point on the situation. On twitter he called it a “mess” with no easy solution for Larry or Lohner.

This may not be unanimous, but I hope Larry sticks to his guns here.

We should just offer the Dad a job and then get into a bidding war with BYU for the Lohners.

Anyone else think he is using the church as a shield to not have to say ( in Gob Bluth voice) " i have made a huge mistake" and after thinking about it and he doesnt want to play for Larry

At this point I wish we could get Pope. Seems like a higher trajectory

I can understand pressure from parents but all you need to say to church leaders is Pac12 vs WCC. This choice is easy.

Pressure from parents would be hard to overcome in a lot of cases

1 Like

I hope Lohner held out for a Jetta with leather heated seats

4 Likes

That’s not suspicious.

1 Like

LOL

1 Like

This is why I said BYU will do well in the pay the players era. They have a lot of wealthy supporters who are zealous enough to pay up.

1 Like