Lohner asking to be released from his LOI to sign with BYU

There is more than meets the eye here. im not saying Lohner is coming back, but… This is a lot more than “Boy, Larry is an idiot.” Just put the pitchforks away (on this one) and watch this unfold.

2 Likes

Oh yeah sure… is that you Larry?

Im just saying…just watch

Word is Pope hired Lohner’s dad.

It’s a wicked competitive sport, college hoops. I hope Ian Martinez is as good as advertized.

3 Likes

a la Mike Empey.

1 Like

Not. Happy. At. All. With. This.

As far as Utah is concerned, I’m willing to listen to the reason why this is happening, but… not good. Not good at all.

As for byu, I have no idea why anyone would want to go languish down there. They were overhyped last year, and just aren’t very good (hell we even beat them). They can barely finish 2nd in that little mid-major conference they play in and have no chance of beating Gonzaga let alone the little sisters of the poor on a consistent basis.

Not good. I’m grabbing the pitchfork out of the garage and starting to knock off the rust.

2 Likes

It would help if you would tell us what you know. Not aimed at you specifically, but I get tired of the “I know something but I won’t tell you”.

Unless you have something concrete, I’m done with coach K. This ■■■■ is ridiculous.

3 Likes

Ah, a classic basketball coaching move.

1 Like

Well that explains it. I’m not sure if I should still be pissed or not, but that explains a lot.

Well damn, my pitchfork is looking good though. Think I’ll keep it on stand-by just in case.

2 Likes

Yeah Kalani did it too. Dirty pool but if that’s what you gotta do to compete………

Feels a lot like tampering to me.

3 Likes

nm,

I mean, isn’t that what we did for Martinez?

Yes, we hired his dad. I don’t think we did that after he had already signed a letter of intent with another school, however. I don’t follow these things closely, so I could be wrong.

2 Likes

We’ve had two recruits in the last couple of years sign a LOI, after which BYU hired their dad, then the recruit transferred (or is attempting to transfer) to BYU. We hired Ian’s dad after his commitment – still not a great look, but, different than hiring the dad after losing the recruit.

1 Like

Who was the other one?

James Empey

1 Like

Thanks. I was thinking you meant a second basketball player.

Good point. Pope is a Kentucky guy, right? We shouldn’t be surprised he’s a dirtbag.

5 Likes

Here’s what a good well-connected friend has shared with me and authorized me to post here without attribution.

The witches’ brew in this situation had these ingredients:

1. Caleb got relentless pressure from parents and church leaders to switch to BYU.

2. His dad was furloughed from his job due to COVID, and BYU offered him a position, with the obvious undertone that it depended on Caleb switching. (I’m not sure how anyone would prove this unless someone at BYU is really stupid and wrote it down or said in the presence of witnesses willing to talk.)

3. A week ago Chris Jones learned that BYU had made this hire, and that Burgess was texting Caleb.

4. Caleb called Larry yesterday saying that he “can’t take the pressure that he’s getting from his family and church leaders” and that he wants to switch to BYU. My source says it sounds like Larry will release him.

I don’t know the NCAA rules, but if a coach calls a kid who’s signed a LOI, that has to be a violation, doesn’t it?

I guess whatever relationship Larry had with Burgess has been torched.

5 Likes