Lohner asking to be released from his LOI to sign with BYU

I find your mean and suspicious approach to this situation appalling.

1 Like

This was a good one

2 Likes

Smith is a giant douche barge! I have met him a few times. I would not be surprised in the least if this happened.

1 Like

I mean, the fire Larry part is almost a sure thing now. Iā€™m hesitant on the hire Pope part.

1 Like

This is unfortunate, and I feel for the kid if family and church pressure forced him to make a choice he did not want to make.

Iā€™ll wish him nothing but the best, whenever he is not playing against Utah, and do so while hearing in my head, the playing of TAPS for the Utah programā€¦

Not me. I hope he never wins another basketball game.

2 Likes

I hope the NCAA looks into this. At a minimum, the whole thing doesnā€™t pass the smell test.

4 Likes

Why the hell not try!?! Doesnā€™t seem to far fetched with the way things are going with Larry.

Why would he come to Utah though? Itā€™s a dumpster fire ATM, and heā€™s presumably already getting offers from better programs that are in better shape.

Have you seen the money we pay Mens BB head coaches?

(I think its unsustainable.)

No kidding. Maybe see what he can do over the next few years before coronating him the next great coaching prodigy?

Pope seems to be someone to imply officials cost them a game. Donā€™t care for that kind of crap. OK to get a ā€œTā€ in a game to let the guys in stripes they are having a bad day or not paying attention, but when game is done you should not say a single word about the officiating and look at your own shortcomings to explain a loss.

5 Likes

That has never meant anything to the folks down south.

3 Likes

Im going to pose a question and if anyone can answer it, ill shut up forever about this subject.

So Caleb Lohnerā€¦

-commits to utah in Aug, 2019.
-signs a letter of intent in Nov, 2019
-attends multiple games at the huntsman center with his dad from nov 2019- march 2020
-spoke to brandon gurney of the deseret news in early april and talked about how excited he was to get on campus and be part of this program.
-asks to be released from his LOI in early june, citing family and possibly religious pressure.

What changed? Where was the family/religious pressure at any of these points on the timeline?
One could argue that maybe he just changed his mind and is just using family pressure as an excuse. I guess that could be, but again, what changed? He woke up one morning and wanted a change? Get real.

I maintain what ive been saying since friday; wait and see how this one plays outā€¦

5 Likes

Are you suggesting that we might keep him? Thatā€™s really the only thing I care about. Maybe there was foul play involved, maybe it was just a bribe in the form of a job to Dad. But unless it keeps him on our team, I donā€™t think it matters much.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t bet on it right now, but i also wouldnt rule it out right now.

But im mostly talking about the folks who want to run larry out of town for this, or for whom this is the last straw. Plenty is on Larry, this one is not.

1 Like

Oh, well, I certainly agree with that. These things will always happen here. Weā€™ve certainly benefitted from people who get to Provo, see the crazy, and want out.

But almost everyone agrees that itā€™s tournament or bust for Larry this season, and not having Lohner makes it that much more difficult.

What changed, according to many, is that a BYU booster offered his unemployed father a job (perhaps with explicit, or implicit strings attached).

As I read everything about this situation, I agree with you completely, which is why I feel bad for the kid and wish him luck (when they are not playing the Utes). And if all of this is correct, I do not hold Larry responsible for any of it.

Iā€™ve said all along, I was planning on giving Larry one more year, but without REAL success, it would be my last as a season ticket holder (after decades), and a Utah basketball fan since grade school in the 60ā€™s. I still have not renewed my season tickets, and frankly, with the COVID-19 situation, and the likelihood of a second phase in the fall, Iā€™m struggling with the notion of renewing my seats this year.

1 Like

Mark Pope is a tool. He can stay at TDS.

6 Likes

If the roles were reversed, certain members of the legislature would be calling for an investigation of the U.

13 Likes