LA Coliseum

Going to the game next week. Never been to that stadium. Any tips or tricks to that stadium, immediate area (have been to and have our broader LA plans), or Trojan fans? Should I get my kid to paint my nails with vulgarities? Make sure I’m up to date on vaccinations?

1. Prepare for disappointment. The stadium is a dump.

2. Parking is outrageously priced. Consider mass transit. There are light rail stations close.

3. Don’t expect the $C fans to be cordial. They’re not like Ute fans who invite visitors into their party. They’re snobs.

13 Likes

Get the bacon-wrapped hot dog with grilled peppers and onions.

They’re awesome!

8 Likes

This is the type of intel I’m looking for! :slight_smile:

1. I get the historical landmark is old (are the going to use it for 2028 olympics?). But worse than Arizona? That place is awful

2. Luckily my wife will drop me off (doesn’t have a desire to go so will do something with the also not interested kids)

3. That’s whay I’ve heard. I’ve been to a dozen away games with mixed results, but will make small talk before, wish em well, compliment legit good plays they have, and weather their rudeness. And ignore the only song theor band knows.

I have a HS friend who went to USC and is a season ticket holder. She lives in the Bay area and comes down. We usually have yearly banter but when I said I’d be going to the game, now she’s radio silence.

5 Likes

one of the major drives behind building SOFI was using it for 2028… Coliseum was fine for 1984 tech, but not now. Coliseum is to be used for Athletcs

2 Likes

Do not do this, please. I’ve known too many people get mugged on mass transit in LA (recently), not so much in NYC. I don’t think the area is as scary as most people hype it up to be, but mass transit has just been rough for some reason.

I would say take an Uber at best.

The Colesium was a disappointment when I was growing up attending Raiders games. I like the museums around the Colesium.

2 Likes

They do have the Endeavor right there…

I’ll have the ‘wife uber’ so I’ll arrive un-mugged.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t go.

FTFO!

2 Likes

You’re just mad they’ve played in the Rose Bowl more than you recently. At least you’ll have UCLA which allows you to visit your memories of old glory.

5 Likes

aboslutely take an uber. One year we thought we would walk from LA Live and after about 4 blocks decided we were out of our minds. After the game, we went to the restaurant/bar in the USC hotel until things died down and we could catch an uber. the bar was fun.

2 Likes

My wife will have our car and does not want to go, so should be able to drop me off close enough. Fair points though. Just like uber, probably will need to walk far enough away for pick-up afterwards that it’s not a total crazy-show.

My understanding is that seats are chair-back except maybe higher up near the open end and student section (going to stay well away from there)?

Bacon wrapped hot dog with onions and peppers. Any other delights?

2 Likes

My son and I are going. We decided to just pay the $50 to park in one of the garages on campus.

The last time we went the fans were indifferent to Utah fans but certainly not inviting. Having made a few friends in recent years including @uscpsycho from Twitter, we plan on stopping by their tailgate if only to say Hi.

There will be some Utah fans from the LA area that we plan on joining for their tailgate. We tailgated with them at the Rose Bowl.

Win or lose we’ll have a good time.

2 Likes

It looks like there is some construction in the area between the USC campus and the Coliseum so check and plan accordingly. The campus is fairly small and worth taking a stroll even if USC fans aren’t much for engaging with visitors.

The bacon wrapped hot dogs are pretty good but sold by unlicensed carts that just set up in the park outside the stadium. Last time I went one got shut down by the cops right after I got my hot dog. I would ask for a well done one just to be safe. :person_shrugging:

As was said before, the stadium proper is a dump. It looks like many of the seats were replaced in the last remodel and the visitor seats look like they have seat backs now if you get tickets from the Crimson Club.

Traffic after the game is going to suck so just be prepared for that and take your time getting to your meeting place and plan on it being a zoo getting out from the area and on the freeways.

Lastly be prepared to hear Spirit of Troy played over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ALL DAMN GAME!!

5 Likes

They did that last year…in our stadium…even when there was game action…

5 Likes

And in all those times they probably never actually finished playing it

2 Likes

Two points of clarification:

“Spirit of Troy” is the name of our band (aka: The Greatest Marching Band in the History of the Universe). The song you don’t like and is played ad nauseam is called “Tribute to Troy.” You don’t like it? Fantastic. That’s the point. We love it!

We have a term of endearment for the Colosseum; “The E-Coli” and it’s based on those unlicensed vendor street hot dogs that some here apparently like :nauseated_face: Keep that in mind.

FTFO!

2 Likes

If they’re like the dogs they sold after the Rose Bowl – Yes please! On my short list of “last meal” requests. :yum:

2 Likes

You gotta remember SoCal fans think milk is spicy. That’s why I trust my Bruin friends more for food recommendations. Those little ladies can cook a dog.

2 Likes

Potayto Potawto who the ■■■■ cares what the band is called? They suck. And I’m pretty sure the Coliseum is called E- Coli because it’s a dump. FRO

8 Likes

Only venue my wife refuses to return to.