Is this really a Utah thing?

I’m all onboard for smoking turkey, but damn those things are tough to get lighted.

4 Likes

Not familiar with chess pie, had to go google. Sounds pretty good actually.

I type this while eating my mother’s apple pie. Consuming it is one of the most enjoyable experiences I have in my life. She makes the crust on the salty side, a style I will never find in the store or restaurants. When she dies, this pie recipe will probably die with her. I tried to get my wife to learn, and she didn’t have the patience. My stepdaughter tried to learn as well but I doubt she remembers that lesson. I feel sad that this will be the end of a family legacy some day sooner rather than later.

Yes, if I care I probably should learn myself. I think I have a copy of the recipe and will probably try it some day. But there’s a sentimental value in knowing my mother is the only one who can make pie that I love.

I’ve lived in Utah twice — in the 70s and in the 2000s. I do not ever recall eating any of the crap that you all have mentioned here, and certainly not cranberry pie with pickles. I think you all are making this up to keep people out of the state! Yeah, that’s my conspiracy theory.

On the other hand, I was a Jewish kid in the middle of a bunch of Mormons, so I basically ate lox and bagels 365 days a year. OK, maybe 200 days.

3 Likes

So refreshing to know there are “others” part of the ute fanbase.

1 Like

I thought it was the predominant church members that were supposed to have the persecution complex.

1 Like

Many Mormons have a persecution complex outside of the bubble. Many of my unwashed heathens within the bubble feel the same way… although don’t live in the bubble

2 Likes

Is the persecution complex really a Utah thing?

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Persecution complex does have a treatment…

Beer and weed. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Ok, in Utah beer and “gummies.” :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Kentucky has a more unhealthy persecution complex. It turns into the distrust and Hatfield & McCoys real quick. Everyone has a rival and they are crabs in a basket if someone is close to success. I hate it.

Coming all the way back around from the potato discussion, McDonald’s fries dipped in a chocolate shake is amazing.

1 Like

No. Just no.

3 Likes

Many years ago I traveled with my son’s high school aged AAU basketball team to Vegas for a tournament. The coach talked all the way there are about a fast food place that sold the best vanilla/bacon milk shakes and planned to stop there for dinner on the way to the hotel.

I’m not much of a fan of milk shakes in general, so it sound disgusting to me, but I have to admit, that I tried one just to see, and it was excellent.

2 Likes

My most common lunch in high school was fries dipped in a strawberry shake. But chocolate works too.

In fact - one of my kids favorite fast food stops was always Wendys, because they’d get a small frosty (chocolate) with their kids meal - which they’d always dip their fries in. I’ve got one daughter who likes her hamburgers dry - no condiments at all - and won’t dip her chicken nuggets or fries in anything - except for a chocolate shake or frosty.

1 Like

It’s better at Wendy’s but he’s right. It’s like the Interlocking U logo. Doesn’t seem like it works but is perfection.

2 Likes

No. Just no.

2 Likes

Dipping fries in a chocolate shake violates multiple natural laws. No decent person should support this behavior or indulge in it.

1 Like

Consider me indecent then.

There was a reason that Leatherbys sold french fries, even thought they were mostly and ice cream shop. The contrast of hot and salty with cold and sweet is pretty dang good.

6 Likes

#TeamIndecent

1 Like