Is this really a Utah thing?

Agree on this. The best, and it’s not even close, dipping sauce I ever had for fries was on the island of Curacao where they had a peanut sauce that came standard with the fries at a little cafe next to a beach. Amazing. Apparently it’s a Dutch thing, but I’ve never seen it on a menu since. It should be.

2 Likes

The best fries I’ve ever had in my lifetime were in France and Belgium, on any of our visits to these countries. And the best of the best, were fries from the shops or portable frites sellers at the port in Antwerp (I’m sure it had something to do with the cold breeze coming in off the ocean.)

There, fries are sold, fresh from the oil, in cardboard bowls, to go, with small containers of one or more of a variety of sauces, my favorite of which are either the mayonnaise-like dipping sauce, or even better the Andalouse sauce, which is similar in color to Utah’s favorite, Fry Sauce, but infinitely better.

There is a reason they are called French Fries :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can remember getting real hand-made shakes at the Snelgrove’s Ice Cream in the old Scera Theater back in the day. No frozen ice milk machine, no ground up stuff to flavor the shake if you wanted to add like a cherry flavor they used cherry pie filling, not that waxy cherry syrup. If you wanted a malt, they used actual malted milk, not dried powder.

Never saw those anywhere but there…and at the Snelgrove’s store in the Sugarhood,

6 Likes

Indeed. Why should you change now?

Those were great days. I miss Snelgrove’s.

2 Likes

What is the obsession with Pickle Ball in Utah? We met two wonderful couples from Utah last summer on a Viking River Cruise. They didn’t know each other but both couples only wanted to talk about Pickle Ball.

It was odd.

FTFO!

1 Like

Pickle Ball? WTF is that?

2 Likes

It’s growing all over, but seems to have taken Utah by storm. I work with some folks in the Bay Area that are quite into it as well.

CCU, it’s like ping pong on a small tennis court. It doesn’t require as much running or strength as tennis, so it’s especially popular with boomers and aging gen-Xrs that want to stay active. But it’s fun enough to catch on with younger folks as well.

1 Like

We have friends who live in Hilton Head, Sorth Carolina. They say pickleball is all the rage there. FWIW.

Pickle ball is fun. I’ve only played it once, but intended to do it again and buy equipment. Unfortunately Mrs. HoopUte tweaked her knee doing it and we haven’t payed since May. She’s currently getting some PT for it. It’s good exercise, you don’t need crazy level skills, and there a lot of courts being built at various rec centers and parks. You actually have to reserve them up at the Cottonwood Heights rec center.

3 Likes

Snelgrove’s actually had a ‘Malted Milk’ flavor of ice cream. It was the best ice cream I’ve ever had. I wish someone else would step up and do it.

2 Likes

I just want a milkshake (not a shake) that you can drink thru a straw. One of the ladies at Millies (great food) told me to order it “thin”.

Back in the day, all milkshakes were thin enough to drink thru a straw. I don’t know when they switched to basically soft ice cream.

Now get off my lawn!

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I’ll have to look it up now.

I play it in St George with my wife after a couple margaritas. It’s fun!

I went through several phases. As a child, I insisted on vanilla ice cream cones. Then it was Peppermint Chocolate Spray, not just for cones, but for malts. Then I moved on to Caramel Pecan. I finally settled on chocolate, the truest flavor.

For me it was always chocolate. Until I had a root beer milkshake.

1 Like

I’m on a strict diet this January to try to reverse the gradual weight gain since last June.

I should probably not read this thread. Mmmm, fries…

My (boomerish) neighbors painted pickle ball boundaries on our HOA community tennis court. Not only is it a distraction from the tennis and basketball lines already there, they constantly leave their stupid net in the middle of the court for other people to put away. And that is my Utah pickle ball story.

2 Likes

I like playing tennis. And pickleball courts have replaced about half the tennis courts in a 5 mile radius around my home. It’s been hard getting court time lately.

There is one pickleball court where 6 courts replaced 2 tennis courts. They are getting used constantly, so it seems an efficient use of the space. But the lights are constantly on. from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm, even in the dead of winter when there is snow on the ground. In the meantime, I can’t get the city to fix the lights on the tennis court we like to play at.

2 Likes