Is this really a Utah thing?

Philistine!

4 Likes

I eat plant based with no oils primarily. Except vacations and holidays. May need to find Oreos and Sour Cream today.

1 Like

One of these things is not like the other. Funeral potatoes are made of so many other tasty things, they are not really potatoes.

However I will submit a potato casserole staple from my childhood that I continue to abhor today: shepherd’s pie. It might be just the feeling-broke-today way my father made it and that I haven’t ever had a good one, but I found nothing appealing in that dish.

2 Likes

I grew up eating a lot of potatoes. They are pretty cheap and easy to grow and being poor we grew a lot. We ate them every way you can think of but my favorite was always mashed with gravy. I also I always liked mom’s latkes/potato pancakes and her made from scratch hash browns. If it weren’t for potatoes we would have been very hungry.

6 Likes

Just got the turkey in the oven, the backup stuffing in the fridge, and the first load of dishes in the dishwasher.

I first-world like that. :wink:

2 Likes

Why would you have backup stuffing? Stuffing goes in the bird. Are you saying dressing?

This right here is the start to major arguments on vocabulary in my neck of the woods.

Lighten up Cletis. Stuffing can be in the bird or in a separate dish. It’s the same stuff. And this comes from my wife who is from Texas and was raised on cornbread stuffing (cooked in a separate pan).

3 Likes

That’s a shame, because in my opinion a baked yam with butter and brown sugar with BBQ ribs is one of God’s great gifts to man.

4 Likes

Counterpoint:

Honestly, I think they are two different things. Dressing has more liquid.

1 Like

I cooked up the sausage, onions, and celery. Added butter, rosemary, thyme, and some extra sage. Used Cubbinson’s herb bread stuffing (since the cornbread stuff didn’t exist in the stores in Magna this year). Filled the bird with the mix, and what didn’t fit into the bird went into a Pyrex roaster pan to be heated up later. Before I heat it, I will put some of the turkey drippings on it to add the turkey flavor.

4 Likes

Stuffing is just a food safety issue waiting to happen. If you get it to a safe temp, the bird is dry. Cook the bird. Cook the dressing. Both to perfection. Use the giblets, neck to make the broth for the dressing. Or, like I do, smoke the bird and don’t do stuffing/dressing. It’s like 8th best dish anyway. Let the fight continue.

4 Likes

Philistine!

4 Likes

8th best???

You’re dead to me. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

It’s #2 on my list. The turkey skin being #1.

3 Likes

Stove Top. The Cafe Rio of stuffing.

7 Likes

@NewbombTurk uses Coca Cola in his Stove Top for the full Café Rio effect. :wink::wink::wink:

7 Likes

I’m just upset they don’t serve the fideo any more. I really liked that. The rest of the stuff I could take or leave.

1 Like

Alas, stuffing and cranberry sauce are the items that go exclusively to me for the holidays (Chinese in-laws). I told the wife I’d be happy with Stove Top in this situation. But I made one from a Pepperidge Farm kit instead anyway. It smells correct.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie. I can eat that whole pie in one sitting. Love chess pie.

1 Like

I think I see a pickle peeking out under that crust.

6 Likes

3 Likes