Is this really a Utah thing?

It’s Phil Indablank’s pregame meal.

3 Likes

Never heard of the cranberry pickle pie but I can confirm The candle salad is a traditional Mormon dish widely served at thanksgiving dinners throughout Utah.

I have no idea of how to respond to this…

I won’t complain about Jello salads anymore though :slight_smile:

Funeral potatoes are the one Utah food that I can subscribe to. As long as Unitarians don’t try to make it.

2 Likes

Um, NSFW tag? This one is also new to me and without your confirmation and, I guess, Wikipedia I’d also call it a prank.

2 Likes

Ummmm…they say if you’re playing poker and you can’t spot the sucker, then you’re the sucker.

3 Likes

Yep, it was in Bicknell.

1 Like

Funeral potatoes are kinda amazing though. The only decadent potato dish I know that tops it is a tater tot casserole…at least as long as your heart can survive it.

Yeah…like skeletons in the closet, I’ll bet there some green jello in the back of your fridge.

3 Likes

It’s also big in Kentucky.

The recipe is straight out of the December 2008 issue of the Friend magazine. Surprised you’ve never had it.
Step #3 is my favorite.

Wow… things got really “mormon 'ey” on the old Ute board tonight…

1 Like

You guys all need to have more Jewish friends and check out the never-ending variety of latkes available during Hanukkah.

If you’ve had one good latke, you’re done eating for a while. They…stay with you.

2 Likes

There’s a place called Latke Love in Denver. Went there last week. Got 4 lakes with Salmon, capers, onions, and dill sauce while the wife got 4 with pulled brisket, carrots, and guineas gravy. So good.

1 Like

I know I’m odd for saying this but my grandma was a fire ball, a bit of a racist, and a god awful cook. She would boil potatoes and make us eat them. She ruined potatoes for me. I can’t stomach potatoes in any form. Mashed - yuck, baked not as bad but still awful, fried - tolerable, but I skip them when I can. And don’t get me started on potatoes evil twin yams or sweet potatoes - no thank you.

1 Like

One of the many reasons I love staying in LA during the holidays. The latkes and Christmas Tamal. Yeah, I spell it Tamal like you should.

1 Like

Philistine!

1 Like

Are we cousins?

2 Likes

And here I thought I was the only one. I will occasionally eat French fries, but only if they’re thin cut, fried, and salted to the point where they don’t really taste like potatoes anymore.

Baked potatoes? Mashed potatoes? Funeral potatoes? :face_vomiting:

1 Like

This is a very real Appalachian dish that I was weirded out by but love now. My grandmother made it in North Alabama as did my wife’s Eastern Kentucky wife:

Don’t knock it till you try it from someone who knows how to make it. It’s gotta be more thick almost pudding like to be closer to the recipe.