Deion tells players he’s heading to CU

It’s a proven fact that if Utah has a program that wins championships and is nationally prominent, fans will fill the facility. But if it has losing seasons attendance will drop by over 50%. It’s happened in the recent past.

Colorado will fill is stadium if Sanders wins championships and puts Colorado in the top 10. I guarantee it.

You seem to think that today’s snapshot is forever. Guess what, everything is fluid. We aren’t in the Middle Ages anymore.

Colorado is a better tradition and job than Arizona State for a lot of reasons that I’m not inclined to debate right now.

Deion already telling kids to pack bags at CU.

Colorado is not a stepping-stone job like Cincinnati. The only difference between Colorado and Washington is coaching.

The only coach in the history of Washington who left to take another job is Sarkisian.

1 Like

Mel Tucker disagrees

Not sure what this has to do with the convo.

Not one bit surprised.

This will be a ground zero case study of what NIL/tranfers will do to college football. Last year we got a glimpse with SC. Getting wild, and not in a good way

Especially since Prime basically told all the current players to get out in his press conference yesterday.

1 Like

Yeah, y’all suck - your 1-11 showed it, so if you aren’t ready to work hard like it’s Elon’s Twitter, we’ll burn it down and rebuild

We’ve had an interesting “lab” to look at things with high profile coach hires, NIL, the Portal, etc.

USC over performed from my expectation, but they didn’t play Oregon or UW and had a lot of Houdini games, like Oregon State. Their OL was pretty solid until injuries crept in.

Skill positions can be filled pretty quickly. The lines and depth take more time to build. We saw that, especially with USC’s defense.

I expect CU to immediately be a lot tougher than what we saw a couple of weeks ago, and they’ll have talent at the skill positions, without a doubt, with decent talent on the lines, but probably struggle with depth up front.

Culture takes more time to really solidify. One year turnarounds are typically Wonderbread for a while.

By the time they come to SLC next November, we’ll probably be in a position to take some of the luster off the shine in Prime’s ascension. But we’ll see.

4 Likes

Rule #1 - unless your are U$C, you can’t rent enough talent to become instantly relevant in a Power 5 Conference.

Rule #2 - If you don’t understand, read Rule #1 again, and again until you understand it.

U$C could pull it off because…U$C. What Deion is going to learn quickly is Colorado IS NOT LA. He will get talent to come to Boulder, but not enough to pull off a one season flipping of the script. Also, you can’t “buy” backups. When your #2 is a serious drop off from your #1 player, you now have a problem. As we have all seen, nobody stays healthy for 12 games in the PAC 12 - Nobody! It took us several years to recruit and develop the talent depth we have. Honeymoon periods are cute; but when the season hits the expectations may be a lot higher that a first- year P5 coach who has zero coaching experience at this level can deliver.

Prime Time has had success at a lot of things, and maybe he does it here, too. Honestly I figure it is going to take him 3-5 years to get that program up to being top-end competitive (assuming he can do it at all).

Given the swirling circumstances in Tallahassee, I don’t know if this isn’t Mel Tucker 2.0 playing out here.

8 Likes
1 Like

Saw lots of people sharing that yesterday as “inspiring” or “motivational” coaching.

I found the whole “I’m going to kick most of you out because you suck…even though I haven’t interacted with you at all yet. Sucks to be you.” message to be a little distasteful, tbh.

YMMV

11 Likes

Jury is still out on Sanders being a good coach. No doubt he’s a great recruiter. Newbomb could have coached Jacksonville State to a SWAC title with that talent disparity. Even with Rocker coaching the Special Teams.

Deion will need to surround himself with great assistants. Without Scalley. Ludwig, Shah, Harding, etc. Utah is 7-5 and headed to the Foster Farms bowl.

4 Likes

I think that is the key with any great head coach.

4 Likes

I completely agree but he’s bringing the “This is a business” mentality to CU. It’s weird how anti-transfer CU has been with past coaches and now they are “all in.” Not sure how long they will stay all in after they open with TCU.

Anyone see six wins? 2023 Colorado Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com

2 Likes

No, I don’t see 6 wins. I think I see maybe 2, CSU and the Scum Devils.

2 Likes

I think the players he’s bringing in he can get 5 wins.

I suppose we’ll see. I do expect CU to be better next year. The question will be how much better. I really do not see as big a turn around as what Riley did at U$C. Coach Prime will get players, and instill something resembling pride at CU. I just wonder how empty his cupboard is.

1 Like

He won’t be a mediocre coach. He will either be wildly successful or burn the Colorado program to the ground. There won’t be a middle ground.

4 Likes