College football thread, non-Utah edition

Finebaum and Dennis Dodd are from the same cut of cloth, IMO. Both like to stir the pot, just to stir the pot.

7 Likes

To be fair, Nick has only won 6 titles in 14 years. Off the one every other year average. Heā€™s got 7 and one more from a tie with Ohio State.

2 Likes

Only 6 titles in 14 years for Saban? Total hack. Fire his ā– ā– ā– , now!

5 Likes

Itā€™s great to hang out with people who actually read books. Becoming harderā€¦

4 Likes

I donā€™t tune into ESPN for anything other than live sports. Their talking heads that spend their shows manufacturing contoversy and hot takes are annoying and tiresome. They regurgitate the same material and rarely offer new information or insight.

11 Likes

I saw it on the bird app. It is nice to have a reminder why I donā€™t even watch College Game Day either. Just trash takes.

4 Likes

I have a younger brother (ASU grad and AZ resident since) and an even younger brother (BYU grad) who are both wild football fans.

The ASU grad, has not mentioned football to me for two years, while the YBU grad, has talked of nothing else in the off season.

This time, next year, I predict utter silence from both.

8 Likes

Not sure about your brother, but most byu-provo fans will be talking national championship next year at this timeā€¦same as they do practically every year.

6 Likes

Iā€™m expecting a very mediocre, at best year for ā€œthe Cougsā€, and my YBU brother, apart from educational choices, is not delusional, so heā€™ll have already started settling into the next set of actual cougar futures.

3 Likes

Edit to say: they should have both followed in their older brotherā€™s footsteps :grinning:

7 Likes

I donā€™t know if there is another fanbase like Provo. Zero non-fans of their team ever predict them as a contender. Also, joining the Big XII they should come back to Earth. The other religious schools will whack them yearly.

7 Likes

All fan bases have ā€œinterestingā€ people, granted.

In Provo they have a really high percentage of fans who are flat out delusional, and then get really angry when things donā€™t go as envisioned. Get-up-in-the-coachesā€™-spouseā€™s-faces level of angry. Dry drunk incoherence and anger.

As a fan base theyā€™ve gotten beat up and chastised by losing to schools like Liberty and Coastal Carolina, and losing to UAB in the bowl game after crowing theyā€™re the real PAC champs because they won some games some PAC teams that seemed particularly disinterested in playing.

Now theyā€™re keeping expectations under control in their first year in a new conference, and theyā€™re silently hoping this will be the league that accepts them and their special status and doesnā€™t become haters.

I give it 2 years, max.

12 Likes

I think many will start hating them immediately to avoid the rush.

7 Likes

Their fans will do something epically stupid and get the entire BIG 12 on their cases.

When they donā€™t win, they will act like a bunch of babies throwing a tantrum for their woobies and binkies, kinda like U$C has acted for a while now, only a lot worse.

6 Likes

I love my coach.

2 Likes

[/quote] ā€œtheyā€™re silently hoping this will be the league that accepts them and their special status and doesnā€™t become haters.I give it 2 years, max.ā€
[/quote]

Yeah, theyā€™re special alright. It will rub the Big 12 fanbases wrong, IMO. I suspect your 2 years is generous. I bet after a few games the Cougs fanbase reputation will catch up to them and the Big 12 will know all about them.

5 Likes

You could be right.

If weā€™re doing well in the PAC while they struggle, theyā€™ll get irrationally belligerent with their conference mates this year, with fanbases they havenā€™t even played yet.

(I was thinking it might take 2 years to cycle through, but theyā€™re pretty jumpy, in addition to being delusional.)

4 Likes

It could really manifest itself when it gets to basketball season. There are several good teams in the Big 12, not just a couple like in the WCC (and they alienated themselves to those schools pretty quickly)

4 Likes

OK, I lolā€™d.

6 Likes

Surprised it wasnā€™t SUU, Utah Tech, or Weber.

Hope the Aggies beat them becauseā€¦U$C.

8 Likes