College football thread, non-Utah edition

While interesting for twitter and message boards, this type of ranking is meaningless in evaluating the relative strength of a roster as it fails to take into account year-to-year development or lack thereof.

1 Like

It really isnā€™t. Itā€™s been proven 5* and 4* talent is more likely to be NFL talent. Watch the first round of the draft and look up a players ranking coming out of HS. Typically they are blue chips. Sure there are exceptions but there is a reason many schools keep winning. This article lays it out pretty well:

Hate to say the days of the ā€œSteve Smithā€ and ā€œWeddleā€ type players has been shrinking. If the kid you are recruiting isnā€™t a Three Star or above to a P5 program, they likely arenā€™t ā€œthe guyā€ youā€™re looking for. These kids are more scrutinized than the kids of the past.

That said, given all the pressures in play today, how many Todd Marinovichā€™s are being produced due to the burning focus? There is something to be said for letting kids be kids. Unfortunately what we are seeing more and more are kids being churned and burned by their parents and the system. Some make it, but too many others simply implode.

3 Likes

This. So many kids are burned out. Itā€™s why we are seeing more mental breakdowns. I know Alabama has invested more in counseling for their team in recent seasons.

1 Like

There is no debate that the vast majority of NFL talent is 4 and 5 * players and that the college teams at the top typically have the most 4 and 5* talent and that typically translates to success on the field. At the end of the day your W/L record defines who you are and this year Tulane is better than USC despite the recruiting rankings and strength of roster.

Without studying that strength of roster thing in any detail, it might be the case that Utah is actually lower than 33 since the majority of 4* athletes signed at Utah have not contributed and have left the program.

2 Likes

Iā€™m more commenting on the talent in the 4 team playoff than the Cotton Bowl. Not to mention Lincoln Riley is the one coach who has so much and does so little with it. Heā€™s the anti-Whitt. Utah has outperformed the rating year in and year out. Itā€™s why I think Whitt is easily a top 3 coach in college.

Also, if someone transfers out the composite is adjusted. So, 33 is probably correct.

2 Likes

4-star TCU transfer QB Sam Jackson headed to Cal.

https://twitter.com/dchasemac/status/1613295038162939905?t=znHvSFWsSjVS7W2E3_wwNQ&s=19

Amen

2 Likes

Actually Alabama v UGA in regular season has happened two times. Which is weird because we played more often prior to expansion. 14 teams has made it where we donā€™t play that many east teams often. We have Tennessee every year and then rotate the other six. Itā€™s why Saban has advocated dropping the 1-aa non conference everyone plays for a conference game.

Trust me. We would love to play in Athens and they would love to play in Tuscaloosa. Itā€™s the Missouri, Kentucky and Mississippi States who donā€™t want another conference game.

Edit: we play the lame Chattanooga game and Kentucky as our rotation game. Also hosting Texas and Middle Tennessee with a road trip to USF for non conference: 2023 Alabama Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com

The two time National Champs rotation (they always play Auburn) is Ole Miss. Their non conference is home against UT Martin, Ball State, & UAB with a road game against Georgia Tech. 2023 Georgia Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com

I agree there should be more P5 v P5 games for SEC schools

SC great passed away last night:

2 Likes

Another reminder we arenā€™t getting any younger.

4 Likes

So, that the whole ā€œIā€™m inā€¦no Iā€™m outā€¦no Iā€™m inā€ kerfuffle with the incoming Florida QB this week? Turns out it was over a $13 million NIL deal.

This is just all so stupid. Bye bye, college football.

2 Likes

NFL2 time to move it off campus and rebrand if this is where we are ending up.

1 Like

Well, a University possibly losing a recruit because they lied to them is a net +. I donā€™t get hating on NIL. We are seeing some kids stay in college longer due to it. People tend to focus on the negative but itā€™s made it above board and many of these guys are learning before pros how to handle money.

Or are you more upset about the $ amount? If thatā€™s the case what is the value of a player in the market will be set by the market. Maybe I am too much of a capitalist and pro worker.

1 Like

My two pesosā€™ view, Bama.

Itā€™s not binary. Iā€™m fine with NIL and monetary compensation; however, the current NIL structure is BS. Unfettered capitalism isnā€™t good for anyone ā€“ NIL in its current constitution, to me, is just that. Again, to reiterate, itā€™s more than ok to go for more NIL money because that means you are being valued (i.e. the good capitalism). Todayā€™s NIL structure is asinine as itā€™s purely based on alumni baseā€™s ability to generate funds. It may be fine if the football landscape is stratified, but thatā€™s not the case.

4 Likes

$13 millionā€¦thatā€™s pushing into NFL level money.

For an unproven HS Kid?

Hate to say some of this is reminding me some of the private sector players in this NIL game have more money than brains.

Either the NCAA needs to clean this up and regulate it, or the NFL needs to get off their butts and put together a bona fide developmental league and pay all the kids in it. The NBA went thereā€¦MLS went thereā€¦MLB has always been thereā€¦and NHL has always been there.

Itā€™s time for the NFL to grow up.

1 Like

Iā€™m not against NIL per se. Iā€™m against the completely unregulated sh*tshow that it has quickly turned into, which is where the few teams with the deepest pockets will scoop up top talent with multi-million dollar deals. They will end up competing among themselves, while everyone fights for the scraps. Sure, a team like TCU can jump up now and again when absolutely everything goes right, but I can envision a time when the only teams that are competitive are those with the biggest ā€œNIL payrollā€. At that point, Iā€™ll be done with college football entirely.

Iā€™m sure that I might feel differently if I was a fan of one of the teams in that category, but since Utah is notā€¦

6 Likes

I donā€™t disagree there needs to possibly be some guardrails. Saban mentioned it last year and everyone said he was worried his days were over. Itā€™s more concerning a school like Florida has to go to13 million. I can see a G5 but not a P5 school.

The NCAA is asleep at the wheel again and I have zero hope those guardrails happen

2 Likes

Quick reply to the Rashada issue. Yes, I am aware of the situation, and have read the thoughts of some insiders that generally know what is going on within the program.

The biggest thing is that it is not UF that offerred or lied to any player, but a certain NIL group, that from what I am reading, seems to be a bit of a clown show at the moment. From what I understand, the university is taking steps to address this, but at the moment, nobody knows how it will end.

It is so bizarre, that the Gator site I frequent most will not allow you to mention the name of this group on its boards, like something out of Harry Potter, for crying out loud.

RR

3 Likes

9Waves Wand

Exacto Verbatim!!!

Now the name can be revealed. :wink:

1 Like