College football thread, non-Utah edition

I had a great time explaining to Mrs. Ma’ake last night the Curse of Woody Hayes, going back to when he clocked that Clemson LB after he picked off a Buckeye pass attempt, ending the game and Woody’s career.

The Youtube search for proof revealed this old gem from SNL:

John Belushi as Woody Hayes on SNL 1979 - YouTube

2 Likes

He looked good early but threw a horrible pick and now looks completely rattled, probably coming out of the game now.

Legit Question. If you are Sark would you take Texas? He makes 2.5 million at Bama with little stress of being a HC. I get it’s probably a top 5 job but he’s been the coach at SC. That wasn’t healthy for him.

Not to mention he would be a favorite to replace Saban and probably squeeze another $500,000 a year out of them.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s been really bad since dinging his shoulder.

At the moment, all the sub-500 SEC teams (that we shook our heads at for accepting an invite) look to be in a good position to win their bowls. So that’ll be a fun talking point for the rest of the year. Ugh.

Is it though. The Big 1G has a losing record to the SEC and PAC 12 over the past 10 and 20 years. Just par for the course for the most overrated conference.

If Sarkisian wants to be an HC again, he should find a gig like Ole Miss or Virginia with low expectations and an easy schedule. Sark is a Cali bro-brah, not conditioned to overcome adversity that isn’t self inflicted. Kiffin and Bronco come to mind, I know Bronco isn’t from Cali but he pretends to be surfer bro-brah, so I’m giving it to him.

Wait… Texas’ schedule is harder than Ole Miss?

Side note: Tuttle making a comeback.

Yes, SEC teams don’t travel and the bottom of the SEC is a complete joke.

Ole Miss has access to great recruits but nobody cries if they finish in the middle of the conference every year. Ole Miss fans would rather protect the Manning legacy of being their best eras ever than outdo them.

So go to Texas and travel where zero teams have won a title in a decade or be in a division with three teams that have. Travel>teams with talent? Oklahoma is the toughest game, right?

Also, Ole Miss has had 5 HC all fired to three for Texas since 2005. I don’t think you realize how insane the people Ole Miss are who think they are on par with Bama, LSU and Auburn.

EDIT: I do agree with the knock the SEC middle of the pack doesn’t schedule OOC. One trip to Cal is weak. We really need an SEC/ challenge for every conference like football.

This is the worst advice ever. Almost no school is set up to succeed like Texas. He has a far better chance there than most other places.

Of course, he was set up at usc too, and he didn’t get it done. Texas was close this season. The question is whether they have a qb they believe in as ehlinger leaves.

1 Like

That’s the thing. Texas has the most money and advantages, so they are expected to win the conference every year. OU, OK State, TAMU, are all very tough to beat all the time, it’s impossible to win the BIG 12 every year.

There are other programs with great facilities and fan attendance where folks are content if the team just makes it to a bowl game every year. Really, Sark should stay at Alabama until Whitt retires and come here. I think we’d be perfect for Sark. Whitt has laid a foundation of defense that will probably last a few generations. An offensive guru would work wonders here.

The programs that would just be happy to make it to a bowl game every year are the programs that churn through coaches like crazy. How many coaches has Ole Miss had during Saban’s tenure? That’s a nearly impossible situation to step into. It’s true that the SEC scheduling is imbalanced, and if you are Ole Miss, you are the one the good teams are counting on beating.

On the other hand, you step into Texas, and you have a decent shot of winning the Big12 and going to the playoff. The odds of lasting at Texas are much better than the odds at the type of school you are listing.

Whittingham has one conference championship and has a contract that will get him close to 20 years.

He does?

This. Also he mentioned Texas A&M on Texas’ schedule which still makes me think he is posting from 2011.

Done Deal: https://twitter.com/texaslonghorns/status/1345484663008190473?s=10

Texas should be able to do better. Sark was not spectacular as a head coach, and he had off-field issues. Texas is one of the big jobs. They shouldn’t have to settle for someone like Sark.

That said, any coach who comes to Texas has a pretty decent chance at success.

Not being sarcastic but who? Urb turned them down. Who is that next big coach willing to go to Texas. Also, Sark is young in coaching years. I think the job is fantastic if you put in the right system.

Meanwhile Michigan:

Oregon v Iowa State looks like Oregon v Stanford. Iowa State has the old Stanford system.