College football thread, non-Utah edition

That crossed a line and Iā€™m embarrassed and ashamed that it happened. Anyone that does something like that is an immature little a-hole.

FTFO!

5 Likes

Having grown up in the shadow of BYU in Orem, having gone to school with Lavellā€™s daughter and Tom Ramageā€™s kids, having Gary Crowton over to the house for dinner (one of brotherā€™s friends) and to listen to World Series games on the radio, I can say there are some good people there. As my family was what the locals called a ā€œmixed marriageā€ (Mom - LDS convert/ Dad-Lutheran) my brothers and I experienced some religious discrimination over our time living there, just not from folks who worked or were affiliated with BYU. This coming from a guy, who when he was a punk-assed kid would bring a cup of coffee onto campus to go play video games in the Wilkinson Center - all the while feeling like I was sticking it to the man. :joy:

The communities surrounding the school generally have a very ā€œover the topā€ right wing bent to them, meaning somehow they have twisted conservatism into also being anti-intellectualism. Yeah folks down there still go to college (be it UVU or BYU), but too many leave and spend time indicting higher education. In that stance, they seem to be following the orthodoxy of Buckley and others, even though there isnā€™t a damned thing ā€œliberalā€ about either school in the valley. The shunning of others based on their religious affiliation (or not being religious) gets to be a bit of a grind. It is the reason my fondest memory of living there was leaving. Though had I really hated the Mormons, I wouldā€™ve left the state entirely. My travels throughout Utah and the rest of the US over my lifetime made me realize what went on down there was a ā€œUtah County Thing.ā€

It wasnā€™t until after I got married I found out why Utah Valley was so off kilter. My wifeā€™s family (ies - both sides) were part of the original pioneers that settled the state. On her dadā€™s side of the family (who for the record got ā€œcalledā€ to settle in Utah Valley) they like to say if your family was asked to settle Utah Valley, you were too big a disruption to Brother Brigham to live in Salt Lake Valley, but he needed to keep you close enough to keep an eye on you.

10 Likes

Funny - some TCU and Michigan yelled the same thing at Utah.

1 Like

Alabama fans are used to hearing ā€œYou Fā€” your sister.ā€

We all have a stereotype that lames like to use.

2 Likes

.ā€It wasnā€™t until after I got married I found out why Utah Valley was so off kilter. My wifeā€™s family (ies - both sides) were part of the original pioneers that settled the state. On her dadā€™s side of the family (who for the record got ā€œcalledā€ to settle in Utah Valley) they like to say if your family was asked to settle Utah Valley, you were too big a disruption to Brother Brigham to live in Salt Lake Valley, but he needed to keep you close enough to keep an eye on you.
[/quote]

Interesting, I hadnā€™t considered that side of things. It would explain much about Utah county.

Saturday Down South: How the BCS would rank Top 25 compared to CFP selection committee.

Browsing ESPN ā€œthe Ochoā€ for vaguely interesting content out of the normal, and came across one of the funnier paragraphs Iā€™ve read in years (especially funny to someone who grew up with Merry Melodies/Looney Tunes in the 60s and 70s). Itā€™s their WORST 10 periodic columnā€¦ link here

But hereā€™s the specific stuff I was laughing so hard at, for you lazy bastiches:

"5. R.O.C.K. in the UTSA (11-1)

Mel Blanc, the Chicago Sunday Tribunk ā€¦ UT San Antonio was once a staple of these rankings but was undefeated until inexplicably losing to the North Texas Lean Green 45-23. Was that game bad enough to legitimately land the Roadrunners in this Coveted Fifth Spot, or did the committee put them here out of a desire for some sort of Bottom 10 nostalgia?

Hey, itā€™s always great to see old friends, even if itā€™s at a funeral. But make no mistake about it, UTSA earned this spot the old-fashioned way: by making plenty of mistakes about it. That was the most embarrassing loss for a Roadrunner since the lone time that Wile E. Coyote caught his longtime nemesis. Then again, Wile E. had shrunk himself down to the point where he couldnā€™t do anything with the giant roadrunner once he did catch him, which feels like a preview of this weekendā€™s Conference USA title game against another former Bottom 10 regular, the Western Kentucky Hillstoppers, listed as an early one-point underdog to the sure-to-be-angry meep meeps"

I SWEAR TO GODā€¦ that meep meeps line had me repeat laughing for like half an hour. Talk about a hilarious nickname that needs to stick!!!

1 Like

Bronco is free.

2 Likes

The guy who writes the Bottom 10 has created an entertaining piece each week this year.

1 Like

What Iā€™m hearing is the UVA wanted Roscoe to fire certain coaches and wouldnā€™t do it.

He along with his ā€œpeculiarā€ former zoob coaches had this little bYu ā€œishā€ oasis on the East coast for 6 yearsā€¦and UVA reluctantly agreed ā€¦as long as you win. Theyā€™re not.

Roscoe wouldnā€™t cut bait on his fireside gang and bring in better coaches and thus was showed the door.

Iā€™m sure UVA knew this risk when they brought in Roscoeā€™n gang and knew it would eventually crash and burn.

Ultimately roscoe left UVA a little better then when he got thereā€¦ so thereā€™s that.

Utah should offer the Special Teams coach to Bronco.

Wouldnā€™t that be funny! Sounds like heā€™s stepping away from coaching. Heā€™ll probably go on a church mission or something.

The guy is weird, but I do think heā€™s a pretty good defensive coach. If heā€™s in the right situation, he could do well. But I wouldnā€™t expect to see him as a head coach anytime soon.

From his mouth, sounds like a different story. Either heā€™s tired or something, but he felt strongly this weekend and again yesterday that it was time to resign for now. The President and AD are reported to have asked him to stay.

The narrative that he wouldnā€™t fire Howell is convenient but he is a straight shooter and would have either just stated that or something similar (we win together and lose together), but by him leaving, the whole staff is likely out jobs anyway. If true, and sounds like he has no intention to coach for a while, he could easily say he believed in his staff and didnā€™t want to make changes despite being urged to.

This definitely wasnā€™t UVA tiring of their religious leanings and family approach. Thatā€™s garbage talk.

2 Likes

Not surprising with Dart and perhaps some newcomers on their way

Heā€™s not that good.

2 Likes

This was expected. Clay Helton coached the life out of him.

FTFO!

1 Like

he did have to throw it in the same zip code as Drake London other than that

He will make a fine Bulldog QB.

The #2 overall recruit in this class, a 5* CB, just flipped his commit from Florida State toā€¦Jackson State (Deion Sandersā€™ FCS program). First time that a 5* has ever gone to an FCS school.