College football thread, non-Utah edition

It’s fun to see Deion do it to his Alma Mater. Not gonna lie, I hope more HBCUs get top recruits.

3 Likes

I have no connection here but if I had to guess, I bet his choice to go to JSU had little to do with HBCU status. It was mostly about Deion Sanders, and the chance to play CB for an all time great at the position.

edit: I bothered to read the article and the kid says HBCU status is a major factor, as well as the opportunity to work with Sanders. He may be a different type of person, but 99% of people in the same position, would make their choice about opportunity, with the sentiment of history being a nice circumstantial bonus. Or maybe he just really loves top notch marching bands.

2 Likes

It’s both. Not sure if you are familiar with black folk from the South but there is a love for the HBCUs that educated the community during segregation. He even said campus culture was a reason. But yeah, it would be fun to play for this man:

Also, the tailgates are fun if you haven’t been to one:

2 Likes

I edited it after reading the article. I was being cynical, it may have burned me in this instance, but it serves me well 90% of the time so I went with it.
My bad.

1 Like

I think there is a down side to this. Pro scouts will immediately criticize him for not playing against top talent, and FCS offensive coordinators will throw to the side of the field he’s not on 99 times out of a 100.

That likely doesn’t happen if he’s at FSU

He could play for a year or two and then transfer to FBS if it’s not working out.

1 Like

You mean guys like Steve McNair, Jerry Rice etc etc.

Playing ACC football for Mike Norvell ain’t it.

3 Likes

I think I read recently that Jackson State is moving up to FBS. Don’t hold me to that. I only follow them a little because of Deion.

1 Like

those guys didn’t come into college football highly rated recruits. There’s a reason this hasn’t happened before

1 Like

You said NFL scouts would dock him for playing against lesser talent. Jerry Rice went 16 over all. Steve McNair went #3. It doesn’t matter to the NFL if you have the talent if you were winning against Duke or Alcorn State.

1 Like

The main question with Wilson is whether it matters that he compiled his big numbers against weak competition. The Cougars played a watered-down schedule last year and did not face one Power Five school. Wilson had plenty of time to throw in many of his games, something Jets quarterbacks have not had in a long time.

Maybe Wilson will improve long term, but today there’s plenty of discussion about him being a huge bust.

This Jackson state kid can make whatever choice he wants. I think its actually cool that he made that decision, but it clearly comes with some potential road blocks.

you might be thinking Jacksonville St. (C-USA)
Jacksonville State, 3 other schools formally join Conference USA - al.com.

And James Madison to Sun Belt

1 Like

Now that you bring Jacksonville State up, you are probably correct. Never occurred to me to think that there were 2 schools with similar names. I know, I’m a moron… happens more often than I care to admit.

1 Like

When you said it, I thought you were right too and looked up who was joining those lower conferences. Man, those conferences are bleak.

1 Like

Zach Wilson wasn’t wanted by any P5 schools. Big difference in Zach and this kid. Plus, Zach went to a franchise known to kill professional careers.

My question is how big is this shirt? Dude’s 6’5 370 and runs a 4.7 40. 18 year old D-Lineman:

He is a BIIIIG kid, isn’t he. Dude is almost 2 of me, and a much better athlete by far.

2 Likes

I’m always looking at these kids wondering “HOW?”

1 Like

if you want to be the best, then you need to play against the best. He’s taking a risk IMO. That’s all I’m saying.

Then you see why he didn’t go to FSU.

2 Likes

Another point no one says out loud: