Clay Helton Fired at SC

Don’t be. Fickell/Aranda will make a phone call in mid-December. If that doesn’t work there’s always the portal.

FTFO!

Those two will be Home run hires but we both know they will look for some guy with an SC tie. Also, your facilities still need a massive upgrade and the Coliseum has seen better days. I really wonder what it’s going to take for the people in charge to make the necessary upgrades at SC.

So many Job openings:

the LA Coliseum just finished a $300 million renovation

1 Like

Interesting, didn’t see the Fuente departure coming this year. I figured he had another year or so. Obviously I was incorrect.

1 Like

Yeah, $300 million to lower capacity, make some suites nicer and better TVs. Not really a head-turner dropping capacity 20%.

He doesn’t need to, you already did.

1 Like

The renovations were a small piece of a needed larger major overhaul. That said, it was what the LAOLC, the City of LA and U$C could get out of the USOC.

I know no one wants to do it but playing in SoFi would be so much better for the fan experience. It wouldn’t feel very “college” but at the same time playing in the LA Colesium (which I love from my days going to Raiders games with my Dad) is like playing college football in 1973.

2 Likes

and yet, they still plan on using the Coliseum AGAIN for the 2028 Games. If it aint (completely) broke… hahahaha. It DOES say something for the original plans/construction for that bldg to get used 1932, 1984, 2028. Seems like it’s trying to live up to it’s namesake, the FLavian Amphitheatre (proper name) in Rome.

It would be cool to see them make it better. I have many memories there and actually am very fond of it.

Preserving a piece of history is always a good thing to do. The external structure is a piece of history. The infrastructure supporting it is a wreck! It is also the most expensive to fix. Honestly, the State of California, the IOC, the Bureau of the Interior, and others should be THROWING a money at the project. Why they aren’t? Who knows.

Wait. What you’re saying the that the state of California doesn’t know how to spend money. Who knew?!?!

1 Like

Doesn’t know how to spend money effectively.

1 Like

Dept of the Interior would only step in if it were declared some sort of national monument, which it won’t be (nor should it be, imo).

State of California could probably pitch in to help though, since they have a $75 billion budget surplus.

1 Like

The E-Coli is OLD but it is structurally sound and USC just spent 300 million on renovating the interior using its own money. Why would they spend anymore to fix-up a place they don’t even own? Athletics are not the money-maker at USC as it is elsewhere. Not even remotely close.

Yes, the 2028 Olympics will be held there - Track & Field - what’s wrong with that? Opening & Closing ceremonies will be at So-Fi.

This is such a moot topic for us because get the next hire wrong (again) and we’ll be playing in the 27,000 capacity soccer stadium next door anyway. We should be now. Less clean up.

FTFO!

1 Like

that’s sort of a shame if it is only to be used for Track/Field. Not to have the ceremonies in the same locations (with the original cauldron pillar still intact AFAIK) will be sad… I mean an indoor stadium? UGH. I’m not a snob, but there is NO WAY any major event like that should be held indoors for a summer games. And dont give me any crap about the transparent roof… It is still an enclosed environment, making a farce out of any tie to the ancient games. I’m pretty sure Baron De Coubertin would NOT approve of an indoor venue for the main ceremony.

I’m sure Baron De Coubertin and the Greeks would ■■■■ themselves if they saw how nice SoFi Stadium actually is and would ask why are you forcing them to be in a dump for such a huge event.

2 Likes

UH NO. Hard no. THose mean actually gave a damn about the ATHLETICS angle, not the cushy, fancy, lets-show-off of the last 40 years… Ironically LA84 is where all the over-the-top showmanship and stuff blew up. THe 8000 pianos coming our of the arches, etc? I am one of the old guard that mourns the fact that the situation has morphed into such a beast that Samaranch became a rich entitled powerbroker as a result. ROgge did his best with the pile of ■■■■ he got handed, and with Bach we have a true Olympian from at least MY era (76). COnsidering the panathenaic stadium was used to restart things (and being ancient from that earlier era as well), I dont think going the extreme opposite would be in line with the supposed nobler values of the Games. "Swifter, Higher, Stronger , Together, and now they want to add Posher or Uber or someother indicator of how far the whole thing has strayed. I dont blame the athletes - they just want to do their thing.

1 Like

I remember hearing that Samaranch insisted on being referred to as “your excellency”

1 Like

I appreciate your sentiment. I’m old-school sentimental too, but So-Fi is AMAZING! It has a roof but the sides are open so it has an open air feel to it. The torch will be lit for events at the E-Coli so that will be nice - especially at night.