Clay Helton Fired at SC

Honestly, if this isn’t your #1 pick for your opening I don’t think your program is being serious.

1 Like

That dude always looks mean or angry or both…even after their victory on Saturday.

He’s a Saban guy and who I want to replace him when he retires in 10 years.

Seems like he’s coming up more for LSU. Maybe he takes the path to replace Saban at Alabama when he’s forced to retire I’m several years.

No one is forcing Coach Saban to retire when he averages a title every other year the past 12. The fact he’s not on SC’s radar is just bad management.

I stayed quiet when you mentioned Mullen because many here like him because he’s an Urban guy but the dude is a trash coach and is really bad at recruiting:

I was just referencing the law they just changed from 70 to 75 :wink:. His contract extension takes him to 77. Likely they’ll change it if he’s still around and is winning at the same clip. With Fisher being the first former assistant to beat him, I wonder if there is nervousness about eventual succession planning.

Mel doesn’t have many links to the west coast. Most of his career has been midwest and southeast. Sure, he’s done an outstanding job but he was 5-7 at CU, 2-5 last year. Hasn’t shown how he recruits and how that translates to play. Hot today but guessing USC will want someone more established. Could be a risk that pays off. Could flop. Who knows. I hope Mel stays (he’s like 15th highest paid), partly because Mich St. Is my uncle’s school.

No. No one at Alabama is worried about Saban being 22-1 against former assistant coaches.

Mel can recruit. Bottom line. He can keep kids from leaving LA. More so than names like Luke Fickle and Jeff Fish

Not to mention he took a team from 2-5 his first year to now in contention for the playoffs.

I always see FickelI and think think of laces out!

1 Like

Weirdly Luke is one of the greatest HS wrestlers in our nation’s history. No joke.

1 Like

Get another National Power Program (6 FCS titles).

Dave Aranda may be the perfect “outsider” for SC. He’s a California kid who has a great track record and he’s the son of two Mexican Immigrants.

1 Like

Jimmy Lake out at Montlake

1 Like

and yet Urban STILL hasnt landed the “dream job” he spoke of while at both BG and Utah… “NOTRE DAME”… I really liked his wife… At this point I truly pity here for having to endure the flexible morality and ego of the man.

Wasn’t he courted by ND but chose UF? At the time it seemed like the right move (probably was) because ND had typical unrealistic expectations. UF had expectations but a little more leeway and he rewarded them for that with 2 NCs.

I heard Juston Wilcox (Cal) is a leading candidate.

2 Likes

SC loses a commit from Domani Jackson. Just waiting for a coach doesn’t help recruiting. Wonder where the top CB visited right before de committing

At least you’re not talking about Alabama…

FTFO!

Nope. Talking SC recruiting. I’m concerned.