Clay Helton Fired at SC

You obviously aren’t familiar with Gold Base.

I remember being puzzled when the Arizona Cardinals hired Kliff Kingsbury out from under USC after only a month on the job as offensive coordinator. Its still early, but in hindsight that looks like a solid hire for the Cardinals and a major loss for USC.

Yeah, he has a sub .500 record but they did look good this week.

Now there’s an outside-the-box idea. And not a horrible one at that. Although I don’t think USC needs to go outside-the-box on this one. Still, his offense would be pretty potent with those athletes.

Hmmmmm

1 Like

LOL. Those ‘analysyts’ are less connected than everybody on this board. And only MUSS president Avery is even a Utah fan.

2 Likes

If Gordo Monson says that Whitt is retiring soon, then we know he won’t be leaving for a while.

4 Likes

Nice of you to show up.

3 Likes

Edited to protect the integrity of LAUte’s board.

Well, you know how much your feelings about Coach Saban fascinate all of us.

4 Likes

Like a moth to a flame

You know it! One reason all of us Utah fans come here and support this site is that we are eager to find out how Alabama football fits into everything we’re discussing.

7 Likes

FWIW, U$C needs a coach that can balance all the special interests that surround the program. An X and O’s coach like Helton can win, but they can’t win it all. Their list of possible coaches could be written on the back of a business card. The challenge is will any of them take the job. Urban would be one of the names on that business card.

In looking into the crystal ball, J-ville is going to amass a lot of losses. Coaching pros is not a job for a college coach who is used to having full control of the team, and is used to winning. On or before Week 10, Urban will “quit” citing “health concerns.”

Before the NY6 bowl games, Urban Meyer will be announced the new HC of the Trojans.

3 Likes

In no way can they hire Scandal-ridden Meyer. I don’t know if he just got lucky at Utah but after y’all he left a trail of bad decisions in his wake at UF and OSU.

He also won a lot of games

But see, this is an AAU school and the Pac 12 values more than just winning. Or at least that is what people have told me on here.

Side note: he always graduated less players than the other big dogs of P5.

He certainly has baggage, having left everywhere he has ever been a head coach (except perhaps Bowling Green) on other than the best of terms. Ask Utah’s most significant benefactor, Spencer Eccles, about how he felt about Urban after he left here.

Urban is not a perfect candidate, far from it, but his winning percentage alone puts him high enough up the list of candidates that I’m sure he’ll be considered. I’d also guess that USC would be one of Urban’s top choices for employment.

He may not end up at USC, as others have suggested, but to say that there is no way seems naïve. Everyone associated with USC is tired of falling far short of their expectations for their program, so I’m sure there would be plenty of support for Urban.

3 Likes

I’ll always remember seeing the sidebar conversation between our most recognizable banker philanthropist and Urban at the Fiesta Bowl invitation announcement. It’s the only time I’ve seen Spence that mad and Urban that scared…

1 Like

Cristobal?

Mario Cristobal Top Choice for USC Job

To this day, I occasionally find myself firing up YouTube to watch the first quarter of the Sugar Bowl game. It’s a great pick-me-up after a bad day. Watching Saban staring at his shoes muttering obscenities as BJ repeatedly moves our Utes down the field at will is salve for the soul.

6 Likes