Clay Helton Fired at SC

Kalani to Arizona last year would have been a fantastic hire. Luckily AZ blew that hire.

1 Like

Adding another coaching search articleā€¦

People laughing at Kiffin forgetting he was in a 30s the first time. I could see him winning a title somewhere.

What is this referencing? USC has been mostly scandal free since the Reggie Bush thing. Sark had his own little scandal, but that was hardly a program thing.

Helton has brought class and respect back to USC? Iā€™m not sure what weā€™re talking about with that tweet.

I donā€™t doubt that, only noting for USC he was the tarmac firing. Their boosters would go nuts if he was the hire.

1 Like

With all the potentials, USC should only go for head coaches that have led highly ranked teams and/or won their P5 conference (or more). No coordinators, no NFL guys taking their first stab at college, doesnā€™t need to be a ā€˜USCā€™ man or coaching tree. No up and comers - proven commodities and pay them handsomely to lure them away from whatever situation they are in. Managing recruiting and egos of top recruits that USC could/should get along with running a program and handling the glitz of donors and fundraising should be top of mind. But I sure hope they screw this up and try to get cute thinking they are the cutest on the block.

All I see that fit my criteria are Franklin, Petersen, Stoops and Urban. I donā€™t know if Petersen has the fire to get back in. Stoops seems on the old side and was ready to hang it up. Urban would be splash but his shelf life just seems to be getting shorter and shorter - he just canā€™t help his control and anger issues.

1 Like

Is that Gene Chizikā€™s music?!?

I think its probably just that Helton was great to work with from a media stand point, ran a clean program (during a period where USC basketball cheated and womens rowing and a number of other minor sports got busted in the Lori Laughlin scandal) and from all accounts treated people with dignity and respect. I didnā€™t read more into it than that.

1 Like

Good take. Petersen seems to be self aware, and if he was starting to not like the job in Seattle, he can multiply the pressure by 5x at USC. Donā€™t know how Franklin is doing at Penn State, but he might see the USC job as a sleeping giant. Stoops is certainly capable, probably can see the reality from afar, smart enough to know heā€™s had a great career, no point in jeopardizing it.

Urbanā€¦ heā€™s a complex guy, I thought he was nuts to take an NFL job. Heā€™s a master motivator, a genius at PR. A bit like Majerus being suited for the college game, I think Urbanā€™s style may fade in the NFL, unless he reinvents himself.

ā€œNot today, coachā€.

(I might be over-emphasizing this aspect, as Majerus knew his style wouldnā€™t play in the NBA and footballā€™s a different game. Love the guy, wish him well, but the demons are not kind.)

But after Operation Varsity Blues, shouldnā€™t a significant number of the Old Riche Clubbers be sitting on the outside now?

2 Likes

This is going to be interesting in how they manage interviews and how patient they are. They will play with an interim coach, likely a lame duck. Thereā€™s still 11 weeks of regular season and bowl games and the NFL (Chiefs) will be through Jan, so there will be a lot of speculation for months. Just kind of weird - but thatā€™s what happens when you fire someone after the 2nd game.

2 Likes

Uh, thatā€™s why I added the ā€˜(or more)ā€™ since Geneā€™s more like Mmm-bop by the Hansen brothers - a 1-hit wonder. Why Auburn hired him after going 3-9 and 2-10 @ Iowa State, no one knows (I guess his UCF/Aub/Texas DC chops?). But 8-5, 14-0 (All Cam Newton), 8-5, then 3-9 showed his true coaching talent.

Well, Auburn hired an alleged Scientologist from Boise most recently.

2 Likes

U$C wanted to give themselves a season to find the replacement.

Hiring a scientologist is a requirement for LA schools.

2 Likes

I think you are confusing LA County with Riverside.

Nope

Is this why Chris Petersen is on the short list? (besides being a great coach)

1 Like

USCā€¦meet Coach Tom Cruise!

2 Likes