BYU fans and apparently Volleyball team are vile

And yet this school continues to honor it’s namesake while others across this nation are recognizing and dismantling the symbols of past racism.

The difference is that the perpetrator admitted their wrongdoing. Have we seen that from the Duke volleyballer? Or are you willing to call her a liar because no witnesses have come forward and it wasn’t captured on video?

4 Likes

No, because we don’t know. She may very well have heard something. Did it, in the crowd noise have a similar sound (as in a homonym) to a racial slur? We don’t know. She says she heard it and witnesses in the area say no. And administration and law enforcement have not been able to prove or disprove her claims. I am not ready to call anyone a liar, but if credibility is going to be lent to claims of racism, there needs to be some actual evidence of it, as in the two recent cases at our own school’s campus.

Well I figured out the main disconnect. . . You think I want a cover up, or the goal that we discredit the person. I just want the truth to come out. Right now it looks like the original story is not true, so there is nothing wrong with being happy about that.

Lastly, I came on this board to post about the Artemis mission because before my mission I had a large impact by a UofU professor that got me into space, so the first post I made was about the Artemis mission. I saw this thread and you correctly identified that I was happy to post that there was likely no racial slurs stated. Unfortunately, almost everything else you said about me was wrong.

1 Like

This is a bad faith framing. Why do you say it looks like it’s not? Because a bunch of BYU people are saying it doesn’t. Devalue the victim and her teammates word for people who have a reason to cover up saying counter? Time to rename it “Thin blue line U.”

4 Likes

#1) The person pointed out as yelling the slurs was shown on video as not even talking and playing on his phone when she was serving
#2) The story that it happened multiple times, but there has not been a single witness or microphone to say it happened. I personally don’t agree with the claims that it happened throughout the game, yet no one else ever heard it. Somebody somewhere would have said they heard something if it was going on all game.
#3) I then became aware of the story with the Colorado Rockies mascot “Digger”.
#4) The report shows 4 Police Officers plus someone from Duke’s own sideline went into the student section trying to find the instigator, and they never heard anything either.

So while I think BYU needs to do better with racism across teh campus. . . It is a large problem. I am happy and I think you would be happy too if you heard that this likely didn’t happen.

If it did happen, I think BYU has already implemented some good changes at sports events, but they still need to go a lot further in fighting racism within campus and within the church as a whole.

1 Like

This is all false according to you. I believe her:

4 Likes

I thought this way at first too, but then Rachel’s own statement stated this happened over and over again. . . But no one else ever claims to hearing something even once.

Thank you, I think everyone on this board agrees with this statement. I live in the south after growing up in Utah. . . Ofcourse Utah has inherent racism and prejudice.

1 Like

That’s the rub. There is no incentive (except maybe from any Duke personnel) to say anything. In fact, a strong disincentive (probably will get threats). Gotta protect hometown homies. Groupthink. One can’t prove the null hypothesis with a lack of evidence either.

1 Like

“We investigated ourselves and found ourselves completely innocent of any wrongdoing” isn’t really the stellar defense they think it is.

“But my one black friend in Provo doesn’t get mad when I say that! Why is the Duke player being so overly sensitive?”

4 Likes

I guess I should check with the self appointed Chief of the Thought Police (BamaFanNKY) to see how often I should post and what the politically correct opinion I should take.

Tolerance and diversity of thought/ideas, yeah right, as long as you agree with us.

2 Likes

Hit dog hollers, news at 11. Bless your heart.

EDIT: Not gonna lie. It’s hilarious seeing someone claim a “Bama Fan” is politically correct. More so when it’s about not being a racist. That’s sort of like losing the “Brand” we’ve developed for so many centuries.

2 Likes

Looks like the South Carolina legislature wants to question the USC(east coast edition) women’s basketball coach and AD as to why they are canceling basketball games with BYU since there is still no evidence of racist remarks at the game. TBF, there were 5,000 fans at the game and they were loud: Duke players are probably not used to that. And we know from past history Duke has been absolutely fair and unbiased when accusations of racism arise, never jumping the gun but always waiting until the whole truth is known. /s/

2 Likes

4 Likes

Well, I can certainly understand your response since you apparently have nothing of value to contribute. Perhaps the thought of those upstate folks challenging the preferred narrative offends your sensibilities?

That has to be it. It’s about a preferred narrative being offensive. Not the long history of racism with the institution in question. Let’s call the young lady a liar instead of look within. :+1:

6 Likes

I believed the narrative at first. It’s no secret that BYU has a looong way to go on social issues.

But since then, there has been no corroboration or evidence from anyone there. Even some evidence against what is being accused.
I’m not saying she is a liar. But would she have heard something in the raucous crowd that ended with “gar” that she could have mistaken for the word she thought she heard?

4 Likes

Expecting corroboration on something as offensive as what happened?

Won’t happen. Based on their institutional culture - can’t happen.

They are doing what they always do, close ranks.

6 Likes

Oh yeah. Let’s use the “corruption of blood” argument tossed around at the constitutional convention. I don’t like BYU. That doesn’t mean that we ignore evidence to the contrary of our assumptions about its fans.

1 Like

Yep, this. If you’re waiting for evidence to emerge from Byu, you’ll be waiting a loooong time.

6 Likes