BYU fans and apparently Volleyball team are vile

Agreed.

This… is a sizable mess:

4 Likes

But the real question is: what did she hear?
We’ve got numerous fans plus an LEO who said they heard nothing and she indicated that possibly a special needs fan said something offensive. It may be PC to condemn racism but let’s get to the facts of the incident first.

Don’t you be dissing my Aggies.

Also, required Aggie joke (full disclosure: yes I went there)
An Aggie and his wife move to a small town where she is starting her job as a nurse.
He looks around for a job and finds an opening with the local police department. He interviews with the police chief, who takes a liking to him.
Chief: Ya’ know, son. I really like you: you have a degree, no criminal record and you are well spoken. But I have to do the formality of an interview question. Now who shot President Abraham Lincoln?
The Aggie withdraws from the room and goes home where his wife asks how the interview went.
He responds:
“Chief likes me. He has me working on my first murder case.”

And it ain’t a border collie. It’s a Rough Collie.

1 Like

You’ll understand my disdain for Aggies when I tell you my Dad was in the Paper Mill industry and I spent summers working with engineers at the Mill. It was nonstop Aggies and NC State Wolfpack talk. Thankfully the one Alabama engineer (he went to grad school at GT) let me chill in his office.

It’s not just a LDS issue. I am United Methodist but raised in evangelical circles. I remember how big Bill McCartney’s “Promise Keepers” was in the early 1990s. When he started pushing racial reconciliation the attendance dropped to less than half of what it was. It’s an American issue that is magnified by institutions that are promoting love and acceptance but don’t necessarily exhibit it in their action.

The political climate doesn’t seem many are ready to discuss those issues either.

3 Likes

Oh look, a troll!

4 Likes

I am glad to see this is probably a story that never actually had any racial slurs at this point. But I agree with all the posts on here that BYU needs to pay good money and get an independent investigation.

Personally I would pick a conservative and yet BIPOC person to head up the investigation and then make the investigation findings public as well as the changes BYU will make moving forward.

Translation: I am glad enough people have stepped forward to try and discredit the victim. I hope we get someone who looks like the victim but is predisposed to discredit them to benefit us. Not someone who will actually investigate the situation impartially. Hopefully we can go back to the way we were without having to self reflect and grow from the situation.

Let’s not forget what your own students say how their lives are on campus:

5 Likes

False.

I don’t agree with your assessment of my words.

You forgot to add “I’m the least racist person I know.”

4 Likes

I hope you have a great day man. . . But your twist on my words is crazy.

I feel like I could say “I really hope Utah wins big today”, and you would post something like

Translation: Wants to watch a bunch of East Coast people get put in their place by those from the west coast.

For everyone else here, I wish the Utes well, you have a great team and I think you will win big today in the Swamp.

2 Likes

Good try in deflecting but you came on here excited people were trying to discredit her and then said you wanted a conservative (weird you wanted someone with a political motive) BIPOC (wanted a minority to point to to absolve your racism) to investigate. You said the quiet parts out loud and were caught being exactly what people say BYU is in 4k.

5 Likes

You’re just lying at this point. . .
“Discrediting” - Your word, not mine. Nope, I just want the truth and nothing else.
BIPOC - Multiple institutions use and people prefer someone of their own ethnicity do the investigation because they think it would be fair.
Conservative - I don’t want a political motive, but prefer someone who doesn’t have an axe to grind against BYU. After all the false reports from a liberal media. . . I would rather have someone I trust.

That is my exact reasoning, you can agree or disagree. . .But your posts describing what I said are inaccurate.

“wanted a minority to point to to absolve your racism” - False, I just want the truth. I wasn’t at the BYU game.

Background about me, I served a mission among BIPOCs, I also took a pay cut 15 years later to go help an underserved area for my work. While my motivation was to go help the poor, it also happens that I moved to a very diverse part of the country and feel privileged to help multiple different minority groups.
I also vote Democrat and was the only person in my LDS family to vote democrat.

So yeah, I am sure when you look at it in “4K” I am really racist. Luckily real life is nothing like this message board.

Say all the defense you just spout is real. Do you not see the inherent bias to protect BYU in your statement? Do you not see the type of person YOU who is affiliated with BYU wants to investigate is allowing for a coverup. This is where as someone with a blind spot you should listen to your own AA students say about your racist campus.

For the record, I am coming at you hard because I have seen this first hand at Alabama and other southern institutions who refuse to come to grips with their own racism.

I mean, look at how you are treating the LGBTQ+ on your campus while you are at it:

4 Likes

Oh boy…

This story still has legs.

• Was it a challenged young person who said something dumb? Or is Rachel Richardson tacitly being accused of making this up?

• Does the group of LDS African Americans at BYU in the Tiktok video speak up? The Sistas in Zion ladies? I think there’s an appetite for full repudiation of some of the stuff from the past, which was pretty ugly. (I’ll always have a beef with Brigham Young himself, as he proscribed “death on the spot” for people like me.)

• I have to say Tom Holmoe, and a lot of LDS scholars & General Authorities have really bent over backward to try and make things right on the topic of race. That’s notable. I don’t know if it’s possible to fully bridge the gap on the priesthood ban topic, without saying BY and a lot of subsequent prophets were tone deaf and never asked God what to do. It’s a Catch-22 issue for a lot of people.

• Now there’s a broad political groundswell condemning the entire thing as myth, which squarely places BYU in a frontrunner position for “most conservative campus anywhere” competition, and all that that entails, good and bad.

Thanks Bama for taking the lead on this.

Even after being married for 30+ years to an African American woman from the South, it took my sister in law to point out an instance where I exercised white privilege without realizing it. (Joking to the rental car folks that we’d better get another driver on the rental because I spent 10 years in the Pen for DUI. “We can’t joke like that - can you see that?” Yup - they were right.)

6 Likes

Thanks Bama, byu fans deflect when confronted with facts and logic. As you pointed there is a larger issue of inequality at byu. Time to admit and adjust. No judgment here just observation. Personally growing up in Utah racism and prejudice exists. It takes all to fight it

3 Likes

I agree that BYU has a history of discrimination: the name itself is from a man who endorsed slavery.

But we are focused on the truth of this incident. Does anyone recall that in the Final Four in 1998, a North Carolina player accused Britton Johnsen of racism and it was found to be a false allegation? Rick Majerus went to bat for his player after he did his own investigation.

For me, after looking at both sides, it comes down to: do I believe Richardson is a liar or was there a racist word said? Quite simply, the latter is 100x easier to believe.

Could some of this become more than it was (which is not to say that even once is ok)? Possibly. But I can’t believe Richardson would take this on like some conspiracy to smear the school. Easier to just stay quiet - I admire her for speaking up.

Before any other smear campaign of her godmother or people saying there is no evidence, I can easily believe the simpler possibility that something did happen and was disregarded, minimized, or ignored even with security going through the motions. In a culture where there is encouragement to narq, there is a stronger one to protect their own (and their own bias/prejudice). Was it the special needs dude that approached after? Appears not. Was there someone else spouting language over the line? Occam’s Razor says this is likely.

In any case, if there is any exageration, only Richardson could clarify but the truth is we all should learn and speak up to stop this if we ever hear it (even our own). No place to cross that line in sports or life. Some nasty mix of religion, politics that is becoming more extreme politically (modeled by leaders that condone such behavior) and really not in line with religion.

Any investigation should be 3rd party, impartial (not conservative or liberal - that specifically brings in bias), and should have been started already. But in the end, resolution to this one incident will do little to change the big picture which is ugly and getting uglier.

5 Likes

Yeah, this sounds awfully similar to the approach of investigating an ‘alleged’ lynching, at least what I saw at some eye opening museums i visited in Montgomery, AL (not virtue signalling - I learned a lot about my own bias and what I can do better)

1 Like