BYU fans and apparently Volleyball team are vile

Before anyone says “one fan” know I have seen a backward Alabama man get tossed by a whole section (with security) after saying it one time. Apparently they allowed it to go on for a while.

I’m confused. What does this have to do with byu?

Was Duke playing byu when this happened?

Never mind. Read 3UteDad’s post below. Got it now

2 Likes

That’s par for the course down there. This happens often. Example from a few years back:

2 Likes

Something on BYU’s twitter about this. I tried to find some context on cougarbored, but of course all references to the incident seem to have been mysteriously expunged.

Edit
I now see that there is a thread on their board about the topic. I gather that an earlier thread was deleted after some there attacked the veracity of the relative that reported the abuse…after all, we all know no one down there thinks that way.

4 Likes

Sorry, meant to add story link for context. The whole “One fan” thing is always a weird deflection.

5 Likes

They always conveniently have one bad “non-student” fan they scapegoat to preserve the illusion that their student body doesn’t have any racists. BTW Utah has had more than it’s fair share of racists as well and I condemn them when they show their ugly heads also.

5 Likes

Looking at the twitter thread that Bamafan posted, here is a follow on post that is even more damning from the Duke player’s godparent.

6 Likes

Here’s a local story on the latest incident at BYU. Doesn’t really add much, but does give a little bit of local flavor to the story.

2 Likes

Fans can say dumb things, but like our Fan Up program they get identified and removed, fast.

Remedial training on common sense and decency at BYU sporting events, coming right up!

2 Likes

It’s 2022 barreling down on 2023. If you are a religious backed school you have to understand the scrutiny is higher (weirdly, Duke is part of my church). I went to a religious backed school that had an “honor code” and even in the mid 1990s we didn’t tolerate that. You would have dudes confronting you if you sounded out the first syllable.

Not to mention there are Tiktok accounts basically exposing the racial blind spots at BYU. It’s a mess if you are looking outside looking in. But, I do understand sometimes these places can get insulated from outside criticism.

5 Likes

How unfortunate and pathetic that the fan did that and no one did much immediately. I’m not surpised, and this is the reality of byu. It is why i dont want anything to do with them if possible. Bunch of passive agressive cowards.
Sorry that just disgusted me completely.

11 Likes

The quotes from the University say fan. The young lady’s family makes it sound like more.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised by that either. How frustrating. Thanks for the clarification

CNN story in 3-2-1…

3 Likes

It’s almost incomprehensible that nobody around this “fan” or the people in authority took action to remove this individual. Compound it with the BYU coach blowing off the meeting with the Duke player to discuss it, and it’s hard not to paint with a really wide brush.

9 Likes

That’s their job, isn’t it?

4 Likes

Was the crowd kind of paralyzed, hesitant to infringe on somebody’s 1st Amendment rights?

That’s kind of a cultural thing in a place like Utah County.

Infectious idiocy.

4 Likes

You bet! I was predicting how long before a national news source picked up the story

4 Likes

All programs have knucklehead fans. Theirs found out it had a racist knucklehead fan. I hope everyone who was involved with this horrible action learns from their behavior and comes correct.

1 Like

Broadening the focus a little, a loud minority of “fans”(?) are anxious for Donovan Mitchell to be traded, because of his advocacy for kids of color here in Utah.

They can’t see how this stuff makes it tougher for the Jazz to attract superstars here?

How monumentally stupid.

15 Likes