BYU fans and apparently Volleyball team are vile

Is this Duke volleyball player guilty of pulling a Mahktar N’Diaye?

1 Like

Having attended more than a few sporting events in Provo, I will say it…

The cops are covering this up.

9 Likes

Second comment: BYU doesn’t have a police department. They have church employees providing security and protection to the UNIVERSITY and the LDS Church.

For visitors…not so much.

6 Likes

Love when someone who hasn’t posted for 8 months chimes in to say racist slurs are fake. Says quite a bit. Wonder why this spoke on your heart to comment. :unamused:

Guess the AD lied about the honor of the Duke student? It’s really weird how people will turn themselves in knots to defend vile people who may share a hue or religion.

4 Likes

This ^^^

I’ve been at Utah vs BYU FB and BB games, at home and in Provo, where I’ve see appalling behavior by Ute Fans where far to few “normal” Utefans were vocalizing support for the injured, or taking on the poorly behaving.

Years ago, my wife requested that we move our Football season tickets, which I immediately did (we had GREAT seats) because the obscene language of the drunken fools behind use was unacceptable (and I mean UNACCEPTABLE!). I had asked them on more than one occasion to “keep the language family oriented”, and they eventually threatened me physically. There is an anonymous means of reporting these sorts of louts now, which works in some situations, but the best solution is and will always be peer pressure on a grand scale.

If our own fans are wrong, boorish, or out of control, we are all hurt by it.

I/We can all do better.

13 Likes

So the accused says he did approach the Duke player, mistaking her for a friend of his on the BYU team, yet BYU doesn’t have any African-Americans on their team? Help me to understand that. I’m not sure he’s being totally honest yet.

10 Likes

This story just keeps on going.

It’s gotten to the point where there will be lots of disbelief that anything happened, or that anything needs to be done.

Either Holmoe is a woke thug, or BYU security doesn’t have their crap together, or [insert your favored explanation here].

Which makes the underlying perception worse, or better, depending on your view of the world.

5 Likes

I have the same vaguely sneaking suspicion. Just a hunch, really. :wink:

5 Likes

Poor BYU is always held to a higher standard. It just comes with being the Harvard/Notre Dame of the West.

5 Likes

The “persecution complex” perhaps? Haven’t we heard that record a time or 2? Time to put it on the shelf and leave it there, or better yet in the trash.

2 Likes

Somehow lost in this story is that the person who claimed she got the story out there is the godmother of the Duke player. She is Lesa Pamplin who is a candidate for political office in Tarrant County (Ft Worth), Texas. Lesa has a reputation for using race as a grievance platform, and it is difficult to distinguish hyperbole from fact in this story. I found this on the Baylor board.

2 Likes

Ah yes. The Baptists known for covering up ■■■■ coming to defend BYU.

2 Likes

It’s also on Texags.

1 Like

That’s not saying much either. Those dudes worship a border collie.

Maybe he doesn’t see color. Yeah, that must be it :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

For any event that occurs I can find millions of people who didn’t see it.

3 Likes

From Tom Holmoe

Cheering an injury is bad. But racism is a whole other level of boorish behavior. I’m sorry, they’re just not the same.

2 Likes

Too little too late. Meh.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I agree. Holmoe came out right after the incident, met with the athlete and did the media circuit. The next day, he spoke directly to fans at the volleyball game.

I think today’s story in the Deserted News is to combat some of this other vile stuff that’s floating around about “maybe it didn’t happen”; “maybe the Duke athlete is lying”; “her godmother is a racist herself”; etc.

BYU seems completely tone deaf on how these excuses and theories look outside their Utah bubble. It’s a bad look. It’s a despecible look. And as much as I’m not surprised that BYU is its own worst enemy, I commend Holmoe on stepping forward and reminding us that we can all do better.

6 Likes